help with absolute phase

ive just upgraded my Bryston .5b to a YBA2.I understand that this preamp inverts absolute phase.How can i tell if the phase is correct or correct it if its not.i also was wondering if most higher level preamps do this....any advise would help greatly. thanks in advance.
antmo
Plato: That sounds like pretty much what I am hearing, especially the "truncated" (had to look it up) bass that sounds like the center of the note less it's harmonics.
Right, DeKay -- or to put it another way -- it sounds like the fundamental note minus the natural "decay". :)
Dekay: Don't forget that power cords, like every other piece of wire, take a certain amount of time to break in. The last time I changed power cords it took several days for the improvement to become apparent. You can't pass judgement on a power cord or interconnect cable until it's been in your system for awhile, some say around 400 hours of actual use. BTW, I purchased my Parasound 2000 preamp largely because it had a phase reversing switch on the remote. Shortly afterward, I read that phase inverting switches add an additional circuit -- to say nothing of the switch itself -- into the signal path. More garbage between you and the music = BAD! For this reason, the Parasound has an alternative direct output that bypasses the phase inverting function for serious listening. You can't win. It's helpful, however, to be able to determine the phase setting that sounds the best on a recording-to-recording basis right from your listening chair, and then mark it right on the jewel case for the CD. Regrettably, this really only works fairly well with classical recordings, and even then, only with a good one. In a multi-mic recording, mics may be out of phase with one another. On the pop music side, I have a Joni Mitchell CD where the absolute polarity jumps around from cut to cut. Pop albums are frequently recorded in multiple studios, with the master carried around the world to have tracks added. Off to Nashville to have a rhythm guitar track added, then off to someplace else to record the horns, etc. Fleetwood Mac, for example, is notorious for this. By the time you pop that CD into your system, God only knows WHAT you’ve got.
Thanks for the info Doug. I gave the new power cords too much of a chance (almost 3 weeks at 16+ hours/day) and they sounded so bad that we listened to the mini system in the spare room most of that time with the main rig turned down low in the living room. I can only assume that the cords were defective, otherwise we have something very odd going on with the system. I should know in the next week or so as the manufacturer is going to check them and let me know. I'm not going to get nuts about the phase thing, but it's nice to know what the switch is for and also that I am "not" nuts when I hear a differences on some of the discs. From what you tell me I would guess that the classical recordings would have a much more consistant phase as the engineers are not punching in notes and lines all over the place as is done with popular music.