High End is Dead?

Browsing used audio sites such as Audiogon and the Marts, high end gear ads are dominated by several dealers. Non-dealer ads are usually people trying to push 15+ year old off-brand junk at 60-70% of MSRP (when they were new). They don't sell anything. You could slash Wilsons, Magicos, etc, 50% off retail and no one will buy them.

No one buys if it costs more than 1k. It's not that they're not interested -- the ads get plenty of views. It's that the asking prices are just way over the ability of buyers to pay. Fact is, if you see a high end piece for sale it's probably by a dealer, often times trying to push it at 15% off retail because its a trade in, but also often they are taking a good chunk off the price 30, 40 sometimes 50% off. They can be famous brands with a million positive reviews. No buyers.

Are we just poor, and that's all there is to it? 
madavid0

Thanks trelja

It's been very nice reading the emails I've been getting from the members. And, nice reading the responses here on the forum directly. AudioGon forum mods deserve a thank you as well for letting me come up a share so much of the Tune with folks. I'm still very much pacing myself because I'm sharing some pretty bold ideas to folks who maybe haven't had the opportunity to dive into the variable side of the hobby all that much.

I'm also looking forward to sharing more on the thread "the method of tuning". I'm getting folks emailing me after starting to tune and they range from "never knew this existed", "been tuning for years and love it", "how can this be happening"....and on. It's nice seeing listeners looking at this hobby practically and empirically.

thanks again trelja

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

@schubert Don't let the dumb majority get you down!
A friend of mine posted in FB last week that he was delighted his family had chipped in and bought him a new turntable. He was so proud, he posted a photo of the new gear. A fifty buck Crosley. 
I met a guy with a decent hifi in a record store. He was so tight-lipped about discussing his kit, I gave up. You'd think the guy would jump at the chance to talk hobby. Sigh.
Forget it Schubert.  We live in an age where it is no shame to be stupid.  Jack Nicklaus once said he won because he was too ashamed to lose.  We can't all be him - well, none of us can be him, but you get my point.  I hope. 
High End is Dead?

I hope not if it stays real. Maybe dying because of BS like below.

But many non-audiophiles I know who still love listening to my system, really look sideways when I show them some of the "snake oil" products that get peddled EG: fuses, mpingo discs ect ect.
And that can’t be good to get new audiophiles interested in hiend audio.

Cheers George
IMO; anyone that uses the phrase "snake oil" to describe some item that may or may not provide a difference in sound in one's system has either not tried it or dismissed it because of bias based on an concept of "it can't possibly work". In the audiophile world there are not 2 systems that are alike, no two ears alike and interpretation alike. Who are you George, do you decide what we hear or don't hear? Your negative and narrow minded view does a disservice to the advancement to HEA.