High resolution digital is dead. The best DAC's killed it.

Something that came as a surprise to me is how good DAC's have gotten over the past 5-10 years.

Before then, there was a consistent, marked improvement going from Redbook (44.1/16) to 96/24 or higher.

The modern DAC, the best of them, no longer do this. The Redbook playback is so good high resolution is almost not needed. Anyone else notice this?
erik_squires
I hope that CDs will also hit a revival life LPs.  I have 7,000 CDs.  However, currently there are CDs that sell for $100s each.  Those are the Kevin Grey/Steve Hoffman CDs especially gold DCC CDs.  I also favor Japanese jazz CDs from the 1980s which were expertly transferred/mastered.  I have about 2 dozen remarkable Japanese jazz CDs from that era.  I've been buying excellently remastered CDs for a decade now and jumped on the CD bandwagon since I bought my EAR Acute CD player.  No, it's not the latest R2R DAC but wow, it sounds as good as my $22K analog front end.  

As to LPs, many of my 1980s classical Japanese pressings, although perfect and often virgin vinyl, used lower quality submaster tapes which had lower resolution and compression compared to the original masterings.  I can point to German pressed Living Stereo recordings which generally sound dynamically tepid compared to the originals, only superior in pressing quality.  The master copy of the recording makes the difference there.
Sorry don’t know about yours, but totally the opposite for me, no Delta Sigma I’ve heard can match it with those three R2R Multibit dac chips you mentioned or others when implemented well, for "prat", "boggie factor" and "dynamic slam" when converting PCM redbook.

That's the point.  You have not heard every DAC, so making sweeping statements is not useful.  The dynamics and clarity I get is unsurpassed.  Every time a customer brings over or ships me a DAC to try, it is disappointing.  Other vendors have brought their DAC's over (I wont mention) and they lasted 30 seconds in the system because they sounded so bad. Even the other vendors wanted me to remove them.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
@fleschler, may i ask which digital front end do you use, which CD and/or SACD Player? Or streamer, as well?
You have not heard every DAC, so making sweeping statements is not useful.

Yes it is totally useful, and you can get off "your own product protection horse", as I did say every dac I've heard, and I hear pretty much a new dac every couple of weeks. 

Other vendors have brought their DAC's over (I wont mention) and they lasted 30 seconds in the system because they sounded so bad. Even the other vendors wanted me to remove them.
Wow! you must sell so many, sound like nothing but an ad to me. 

No matter how good the equipment, and/or bit resolution / sampling rate, it cannot fix a bad recording, and that's the bulk of them.