High resolution digital is dead. The best DAC's killed it.

Something that came as a surprise to me is how good DAC's have gotten over the past 5-10 years.

Before then, there was a consistent, marked improvement going from Redbook (44.1/16) to 96/24 or higher.

The modern DAC, the best of them, no longer do this. The Redbook playback is so good high resolution is almost not needed. Anyone else notice this?
erik_squires

velveteen
1 posts
02-02-2019 8:24pm
I love my digital front end, with r2r technology! I couldn't imagine my redbook CDs sounding any better than they do now.......

Mark Levinson No 31.5
Mark Levinson No 30.6

It’s kind of hard to image what you haven’t heard. If you could hear what I’ve heard with my ears.

If you could hear what I’ve heard with my ears.
You say you can hear a difference in the direction of an ac mains fuse, you hear nothing!

Mark Levinson No 30.6
 4 x PCM1704-K + 2 x SHARC ADSP-21061L
" The Mark Levinson No.30.6's measured performance is about as good as it can get. No wonder I liked its sound so much".—John Atkinson

The ML 30.6 is now 20 years old and still a magnificent sounding R2R Multibit dac.
Only last month I had the pleasure of listening to one up against my Linn CD12, using the Linn as a transport there was a "poopteenth" in it between them, your lucky to have it  velveteen.

Cheers George

all things being equal, higher rez files can sound a little better overall. but, of course, all things are rarely equal.

i agree with the whole recording quality being more significant than the digital format, but that’s only half the equation. the 800 pound gorilla in the room is native recording source resolution. that’s where you find optimal sound. i always try to listen to the least mucked up source. this goes equally for analog too. give me 1/2" 30ips tape if that is what the recording started life as, or redbook if that’s where it started. direct to disc vinyl is also phenomenal and can compete directly with the best tape.

my MSB Select II has a hybrid dac which optimizes both pcm and dsd whatever resolution. it is astonishingly good on redbook, and does a great job with MQA. but my favorites are consistently the native resolution if i have a way of determining that.

i have dozens of native dxd (352/24) and quad dsd files and those are pretty awesome when the recording quality is also superior. if you think redbook sourced recordings are equal (especially as the music gets more complex) you have work to do.

and not every system will equally reveal media differences. so my experience and realities might not equally apply to all.

YMMV and just my 2 cents.

Does anyone know whether the EAR Acute which uses a Wolfson DAC is R2R or sigma-delta?
fleschler
Does anyone know whether the EAR Acute which uses a Wolfson DAC is R2R or sigma-delta?

The Ear Actute uses the WM8740 which is a Delta Sigma
https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proDatasheet/WM8740_v4.4.pdf

The Acute II and III uses the later higher spec’d WM8741 which are also Delta Sigma.
https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proDatasheet/WM8741_v4.3.pdf

They had quite a peaked up treble that begun at 5khz which could make them bright to listen to.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/217ear.EARfig04.jpg

Stereophile:
" Although predicting the influence on sound quality of the EAR Acute Classic’s poor rejection of jitter is difficult, I do suspect that AD’s reporting of there being "an excess of high-frequency texture," and sound quality that was "slightly grain[y]," is related to this behavior. As much as I admire Tim de Paravicini’s expertise as an analog engineer, the EAR’s digital circuitry is not up to the standard I expect from him".—John Atkinson

From this you can probably understand why there was 3 different versions of the Acute.

Cheers George