home made speaker cable vs. the big boys

I have been reading a lot recently about power cords and speaker cable. Everyone has their take on how to make great sounding cable. Some market players use "special chemicals" in their product while others don't. Some have thin cable , some have thin cable. I'm thinkin, my opinion is as valid as anyone elses. So why not attemt to make some high end cable my self? Has anyone tried this and been successful at diy "high end cable" ?
avnut
Thanks for the clarification, Carl! I haven't followed the whole corporate relationship as closely as I should have. My interest was always on the hobbyist end of their business, not the finished speakers. In the past, I have built speakers using Solen, SCR, Axon, and Focal components. I found some of the Focal drivers not the best to my ears(generally the tweeters). I am not saying they are not first quality, or the equal to anyone else's, just not right for me/my tastes. SCR caps were the best when a high capacitor value was needed. I preferred the sound of SCR to Solen in direct comparison. SCR used a 7 micron film, Solen used a 5 micron film(not that that is the reason I preferred SCR). For lower value capacitors( < 20 microfarad), as well as inductors and resistors, I preferred products from other companies. Back to the topic at hand, I adamantly feel we can equal the big guys' cables. The finest materials must be used, not Home Depot "electrical grade" copper. At least as important as the materials is the geometry of the wire - all of which is easy to reproduce, in most cases. Wire geometry is often what distinguishes one company's wire from another. And the determining factor in why a cable sounds great in one system, poor in another. The markup(from raw material acquisition all the way to customer purchase) is as obscene as anything in this field. If this was in a typical industry(i.e. one driven by economics, rather than status and emotions - or even mass or mid grade electronics), first grade copper interconnect would be less than $30/m, silver less than $100/m(both with typical generous industrial markup). We have even heard manufacturers claim their $1000 cable could be easily marketed for $100, but it would never be able to viewed of having the same "sound" as the other $1000 cables by the "audiophile community". Good Luck to all of us DIYers!!!
Just a note.Anything will destroy MIT.MIT is the Biggest scam in the Audiophile community bar none.I would not wire the out house with MIT.MIT is for the guy who wants to brag about how much he spent.Let your ears do the chosing.when i listen to stuff i dont want to know what the cost is I listen and then let my ears pick.DIY's keep up the good work.
kacz, I also use solid core wire from Home Depot and it was a significant upgrade over monster cable. I believe it is 16 gage fire alarm cable. I am curious as to the benefits of solid core vs stranded. I currently bi-wire Spica TC-60's and also run a cable to a pair of Audio Concept sub-1's. Is one type better for high frequency and the other better for the low end? I appreciate any insight.
Hi Pcs. I havn't found that stranded has any benefits anywhere. It just doesn't sound as good in any area you name. Solid core conducts better and keeps the signal purer. the the music is just better all around in all area's. I havn't found it to be a preference thing it's just better.......CARL_EBER.....If I remember right you have krell gear. That explains why you like MIT. MIT colors and slightly dulls the sound which is why everybody says it's laid back sounding. Not knowing why at the time, I preferred MIT and it sounded good because I was actually using it to make up for a deficiency in my amp (classe ca-100). Which was bright upper mids. Now I have a way better amp with incredible tonality and clarity (B.A.T VK-200) and swiching between interconnects and speaker wire I could tell how much those passive networks were changing the sound. I mean come on there is no way to keep a signal pure by going through extra cicuits and networks....MIT=EXPENSIVE EQUALIZER......PERIOD.....but even though that is the case if it's worth it to someone and it does fix a problem in there system than that's fine. If they like the sound then that's good for them. I'd rather just spend the extra money and buy gear with the correct tonality to start with and keep the clarity and transparency that's in the signal to start with but which the passive networks of MIT dulls.
Just a note. Hyperbole will destroy _____ (insert brand). Hyperbole is the biggest scam in the Audiophile community bar none. Hyperbole is for the guy who wants to brag about how little he spent (and how the rest of you are idiots). Hyperbole lets you know when to let your ears pick and when to pick your ears. What a gift. Tml2, if MIT weren't around, what benchmark would we use to assess your brilliance?