How do reference speakers rank to today's standard

I think that most of us at this forum had an experience like I am having now: to choose between a once reference speaker and a recent midrange speaker.
For 8 years I have been the owner of Audio Physic Spark III's and I love the sound of the AP's so I want to cling on to this brand. But what to do.
I can choose between two offers, both in the same price range. One is the Audio Physic Avanti II (the year 2K version, the Century), 11 years old and once a reference speaker.
The other one is a 2 1/2 year old Audio Physic Tempo VI.
I know that speakers do age and that 11 years old speakers won't sound as they did 11 years ago.
Also, in the 8 1/2 years that seperate these AP's there has obviously been some development in speaker design.
But do you think that the Tempo's sound better than the Avanti's ?
And what about the (remaining) lifespan of both of them. For the record, I am not able to listen to them at home. Any advice is highly appreciated. regards, Ton
linkingpin
I will not say that technological changes don't matter, but, when looking at a particular manufacturer's line, it is often changes in philosophy, deliberate change in the kind of sound to match perceived changes in market demand, etc. that matter more. You can hear this evolution in certain lines of speakers, often to their detriment (for my taste), as the overall market shifts. Some even drift one way and then back again when their core customers start to move away.

As far as abuse to an Avanti is concerned, I know of at least one example of spectacular abuse that the drivers survived. A friend of mine does installations and servicing of some gear. He fixed an Avanti that must have been subjected to sustained, extremely high level signals. The inductor on the crossover board was so overheated that the board and the plastic parts around the inductor had melted (not warped, melted and had started to flow away). Amazingly, the drivers, including the tweeter, were unharmed.
Agree with the opinions here. With the exception of overt abuse a speaker built to a high standard of construction and upper level quality parts, 11 years are nothing in terms of wear. Performance should be very good for many years to come. I`ll always go with the higher quality-older component than a newer but built to a lesser standard one.
Linkingpin if it is any help, mine are set up to also serve home theatre in a strictly 2 channel system. They sit 12 inches from the back wall and about 30 inches to the side wall. They stradle a 100 inch motorized Stewart Screen and are still feed Linn electronics. I'll never get rid of them, but would like to hear them run on tubes some day.
Hi Charles1dad, Jarecneps, great to hear about your positive experiences with older high level speakers.
The point is taken, 8 years is by long not enough for the Tempo's to reach the standard the Avanti's have set, and 11 years for quality parts is perhaps only half way their lifespan. I will try and get the Avanti's if the price stays reasonable, not many are offered every year, so there are more interested enthusisasts.
Larryi, that is indeed surprising that the drivers were unharmed. Here I have a (small) picture of the the crossover used in the Avanti's, http://www.highendnews.info/reviews/audiophysicavanti3-english.htm . It's from the Avanti III.
I can't find any documentation how the crossover of the Avanti II is built nor could I find any picture. Would be very interesting though.