How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
I wonder if Krazeeyk had made the decision and bought the system and is happy or not with it...
Initially, balanced spending is a good idea, but as your listening ability grows in the audiophile direction (which can be good or bad, depending upon whose point of view), you can grow dissatisfied with your system. If you're in this for the long haul, maybe out of the $5K budget, $3K should be spend on a used, very good source (CD player or 'table) so that you can stop worrying about the source for a long term. If the source is good, than it's only a matter of getting the downstream better.
$500 can be used to buy a used integrated amp (something from Rotel/NAD/Cambridge/older MF) and $700 for used speakers (B&W older DM or CDM series, CDM-1 maybe is in this range, or used Vandy's?), $600-750 for very good used speaker cables and $100-150 for used interconnect. A used $500 amp will be most likely single-ended only, and when you upgrade there's a chance you want to get a balanced system. In this case, initial investment in an expensive SE interconnect makes less sense. But you always need your speaker cables, no matter what speakers you use (unless you get a Meridian active speakers).
When budget allows, I would suggest to trade-up the electronis first to pre- and power-amp or very good integrated and speakers the last when you really have the dough to buy that super speaker you've been dreaming about. I guess my principle is buy something that you want to keep for a long, long time.
I wonder if Krazeeyk had made the decision and bought the system and is happy or not with it...
Initially, balanced spending is a good idea, but as your listening ability grows in the audiophile direction (which can be good or bad, depending upon whose point of view), you can grow dissatisfied with your system. If you're in this for the long haul, maybe out of the $5K budget, $3K should be spend on a used, very good source (CD player or 'table) so that you can stop worrying about the source for a long term. If the source is good, than it's only a matter of getting the downstream better.
$500 can be used to buy a used integrated amp (something from Rotel/NAD/Cambridge/older MF) and $700 for used speakers (B&W older DM or CDM series, CDM-1 maybe is in this range, or used Vandy's?), $600-750 for very good used speaker cables and $100-150 for used interconnect. A used $500 amp will be most likely single-ended only, and when you upgrade there's a chance you want to get a balanced system. In this case, initial investment in an expensive SE interconnect makes less sense. But you always need your speaker cables, no matter what speakers you use (unless you get a Meridian active speakers).
When budget allows, I would suggest to trade-up the electronis first to pre- and power-amp or very good integrated and speakers the last when you really have the dough to buy that super speaker you've been dreaming about. I guess my principle is buy something that you want to keep for a long, long time.
If you budget is a bit restrictive it should not make things to difficult,however that doesnt mean you will get what you want but it may mean you will be able to succeed with the hard choices.The question was not how much but when and what? I spent less than that and truly I was never more satisfied.The speakers actually came last,and cables were not a problem.One of the lessons that this type of thinking allowed for was the value that you personally cared for and something related and that was the quality of the purchase.I learned the value of what good amplification means because that was my first purchase.If you do some reading about all those numbers that appear in owners manuals and the like it will help you understand the relationship between the preamp/amp/ and the effect that they have on the loudspeakers ability to express the content of a disc or even lp. A good amplifer is your answer to your investment in how much to spend on loudspeakers . However things were to work out for me I spent 1,700.00 on a integrated amp and next 1,500.00 on a cd playback and last but not least I got an excellent deal on the loudspeakers that I so desperately wanted.They were to cost me a little more than 1,200.00.I waited a while and though it was not the only way it was simply a sale that appeared in the newspaper and I made a serious decision, I thought it through carefully and I can tell you very happy stories of the experience that that provided me with.This was not done overnight because I had other things that took precedent,like being honest,however I, to this very day never regretted it.Good Luck
I would spend more on speakers and power amp basically.

My suggestions:
1. Speakers: $2000
2. Power amp: $1000
3. Preamp: $800
4. Digital Source (CD player or Transport+D/A): $800
5. Cables: $400

I would recommend to purchase mint condition used stuff with your 5k budget. Good luck!

But I always buy used as much as i can. I just dont think it makes sense to have a limited budget and loose 1/2 of it when you want to upgrade...

I spent 600 on my Berning TF-10 preamp, 600 on my Parasound CDP-2000 Ultra, 400 on a Kinergetics Chiro C200 (140w/ch), and 600 on JBL L-96 speakers... and the cables are Vampire Wire copper and DH Labs ST100 hybrid (about 120 in cables),,,

What you get in a certain system is not really reflected in retail prices,,,I think that speakers squeeze a lot more performance for the dollar than the electronics,,,so to say you need 3K amps to match 5K speakers, in my opinion is nonsense,,,

There is a leveling curve at some point, and when you get some good Spendor, AudioPhysics, ProAc,Paradigm, PSB, or used Thiel, Hales, or whathavya, you will have enough speaker to be able to enjoy whichever electronics you choose.

I found that actually I rather spend (just realized it lately) on a preamp.