How does good analog differ from good digital

I was at Music Direct yesterday buying some CDs. I heard Heart's Dreamboat Annie playing on their main system. It sounded really alive, punchy, and engaging. I walked over to hear it better. It turned out that I saw a rather warped record playing on a cool looking turntable called an Avid. They were using a Creek integrated and their new floor standing speakers. I was surprised that I did not hear any background hiss. I have heard their system before with digital but it never sounded this good. I wonder if it was the turntable. The speakers sounded very good but I know from experience that the characteristics listed above were probably were from somewhere else up the chain. It this what good analog offers? How much would one have to spend to get sound at least as good as my Audio Logic 24mxl and Accustic Arts Drive I? Thanks a lot, Brooks
brooksl
You might want to check out more details on their setup -- Avid with what tonearm and cartridge? If you liked that system, it could establish a baseline for cost comparisons.

Quite nice systems are available for under $2k as mentioned by Nrchy and even under $1k as per Bob. Very, very nice systems are available for about $5k (e.g., the highly rated Origin Live Resolution system, probably with a Shelter cartridge or very nice VPI or Teres systems). At $10k or under, you can go nuts with extremely nice systems. The best of the best might be in that category or in the "way over $10k" price range, depending on your tastes. There are some good used buys at under $1K that could get you started (e.g., I got my AR turntable with a Linn Basik arm and a cartridge for about $500 or so).

CD's can sound very good on great systems. Lower cost turntables will, in my limited experience, provide you some tradeoffs where you might give up one thing for another -- e.g., bass slam for clearer cymbols. A very nice turntable will be superior to a cd player except in terms of convenience -- provided the record is in good shape. However, many folks (my wife included) do not hear the difference with casual listening (but I really like my cd setup). Any moderately serious listening to a good recording will make the differences obvious. To my ears, they are not so night and day different as to ruin cd forever, but fine analog beats out the cd across the board.

Caveat: My upgraded turntable is an Origin Live Sovereign with their Conquerer tonearm and the Dynavector XV-1s cartridge compared to my digital setup of a California Audio CL-10 feeding the Perpetual Technologies P1-A and Wright modded P3-A DAC's with the custom Wright power supply. The replacement cost of that turntable is about three times the cost of the digital setups. My earlier comparison was to a turntable setup costing about one fifth that of the digital system. I've never done a direct equal dollar comparison.
Thanks guys. I have added the costs for the turntable, the arm, the cartridge, the power cord, and the interconnect. I discovered that if I sold my Audio Logic DAC and added the cost a good vinyl set up that I can have a used Zanden DAC. Now I have a real dilemma. I appreciate the advice very much.
I have MF A3.2 CDP and cheap Pro-Ject 1.2C turntable with Ortofon OM Super 20 cartridge. Usually turntable sounds much better (especially 12"/45-singles).
Of course it depends on quality of media.
I'll probably catch some flack for this in this forum, but I think you're cheating yourself and your system if your primary source isn't a turntable. In my view, the only reason to even have a CD player in a high-end system is for music you can't get on vinyl. Just one man's opinion . . . but do listen to a good vinyl set up before you invest mega-bucks in upgrading your digital front end.
I agree with Bsal and will share some of the flak. I don't understand why audiophiles will go through all they do and spend as much money and time as they do in order to settle for second best, SACD and CD.

I think everyone needs a CD player because of the selection. But vinyl is the cream of the crop.

Rob