How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I bought some SuperAbbys w/Bailey sub, using the far-field driver, kind of put them where I thought they should go, using okay but not wacko cables, and added (sold the Pathos) a small Almarro (sold the Sophia, too), and I haven't touched anything since (4 months). I'm very pleased with the music and how I react to it, have no desire to switch out cables, reposition the speakers, or even seek more than the 4.8 watts the Almarro puts out. Everything stays where it is ... and what it is. Not going to elevate cables, islolate anything, or worry about room anomalies. Everything sounds great, no matter where I may be in the room, and I no longer have the need to question myself about this. There is so much great equipment available, and much of it doesn't cost very much. Can't have it all, nor afford to upgrade whenever doubt is allowed to surface, so it's saner to enjoy the good equipment you've got. If anything, blame the lousy CDs being sold.
I've tried or listened to just about everything from A to Z in my 30+ yrs as an audio hobbiest. For the last 4 yrs I've stuck with a couple of Dynaco CDV2's, a couple of PAS4's, a couple ST-80 tube amps and a couple ST-160 tube amps. Using some Ev Aristocrats and Marquis. I have reached my zenith in my search for the holy grail of audio. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. No more merry-go-round for me.
Mstic2000,

Good for you. It's nice to see some example of fruition.

I tend to enjoy what I have. I'm fortunate to not want to spend time comparing equipment. I do. But I'd rather have everything set to go broken in, so I can just listen.

That keeps me from swapping or upgrading too often.
Nrchy, I like your answer but I voluntary jumped, then I was quickly retrieved!