How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I am off the merry go round for goods, my friends. I was out of the hi-end hobby for years. Coming back last years, I had some good purchase but making a lot of unwised mistakes. I put all my faith and trust to a "guy" and here I am out of 12K and a lot of frustration. Sometime, due to limitation of gears to audition, I have to base my purchasing on recommendation of this "guy" I known for over a year...Luckily enough, I convinced the "guy" and I could trade most of my stuffs for new stuffs at extra expenses in a hope that maybe I can re-sell all my gears and get the hell out of the hobby. Everybody has to make a living but this is wrong of me and wrong of him.
Dlanselm,

Nice suggestion...or, alternatively, stick to gear that is selected by Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Sting and many other famous recording artists and simply assume that these people know what they are doing when it comes to music and can afford to get what they find most convincing. Follow those "in the know" and trust their judgement... after all it is impossible to listen to everything that is out there and the constant change of the Merry-go-round strongly suggests there is a lot of gear out there that leaves people underwhelmed.
Drubin,

Perhaps this is how you get off the Merry-Go-Round?

Getting off the Merry-Go-Round One

Getting off the Merry-Go-Round Two

Anyone care to count the number of woofers?

The bluetooth keyboard and trackball are to control everything from the listening position. The extensive acoustic treatment is placed where it is most important (behind the listener). Kudos to Mike Roskelley for a simply awesome studio setup.