How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Come on, you know its a disease. Just roll with it and die with dignity like the rest of us.
Chashmal, well spoken! Roll with it until you either fall deaf, go broke or die. Whatever comes first.
The other day while at work, I thought about all of the money I've sunk into this hobby. Just purchased new power cords, am waiting for a record cleaning machine to be delivered, ordered some record cleaning solution, new brushes to clean the records with...then thought I must be sick. Seriously thought about selling the whole thing, and getting out the old Marantz receiver, Denon cdp, and Altec speakers to fend off the possible future urge to upgrade. But then I regained my sanity....or is that my insanity????? There's no escape.
Emailists, you have brought up a good point in regards to the satisfaction of owning tube gear. I wish you would start a thread tube vs solid state & changing gear. I would post there.
Love of music is joy. Love of equipment is materialism. Love of music with great equipment makes the joy shine brighter, but when you start thinking about the gear too much it all turns to crap in your head. Just enjoy the music like you did when you were 20 and let the great gear do its job. Then music can be music again.

I have experienced this many times, and I have learned the hard way. Now I have great gear but I just concentrate on Coltrane, Bach, Webern, Schoenberg, Cecil Taylor, and Jimi Hendrix.