How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Three things have worked for my audio addiction:

1. Finally meeting at least some of my expectations for good audio playback. Yes, I can find things wrong with my system, but on the whole, to my ears, it does more things right than wrong.

2. Having components of more or less equal perceived quality. This prevents me from obsessing about "weak links" in the system, which are maddening to an audio addict.

3. Redirecting my compulsion into finding new music. Maybe that's still an addictive process, but it's a lot cheaper, and ultimately, more fulfilling.
Suffering from too much GAS? Sadly most audiophiles here seem afflicted with too much GAS.

This is the correct technical term for what Drubin describes as the "merry-go-round" affliction. I am surprised I have never seen this popular term used here on Audiogon. Are audiophiles out of touch and in another world or are audiophiles simply not musicians or musically adept, for the most part?
Shadorne, as I have said before, I have no interest in stopping making improvements and I have been doing this for 45 years. I am or was a musician and merely seek what I use to hear repeated at my leisure. I just get a thrill at realism.

I must say that I knew an excellent pianist who had a simple Webcor portable record player. He said that he really didn't listen except to certain key places for the recording player's interpretation.

This is why I just cannot understand the so-called objectivists.
Shadrone, Unless GAS is an acronym for something, the only GAS I see which keeps folks going round and round originates with manufacturers, reviewers, salesmen, and a few (too many) proud owners of something they bought. The latter can be forgiven though. The former are on the treadmill making the merry-go-round go round! They like to keep it going as fast as possible so ones fears injury if they try to get off. :-)