How important is a flat response?

I just bought the Rives cd to test in room response. My room had a lot of peaks in the low ranges. Am i severely limiting my experience? It it possible to have "good" sound with less than a flat response?
streetdaddy
It depends how important it is to you. Achieving flat response could be part of the learning process,and it is doubtlessy important.However, I do not think I would recognize it. I think I assign it importance because it is held as one of the markers of an accurate system and a pathway to fidelity. I value that very much, even if only in an ideal.And I would be pleased to be able to descern the difference, which perhaps I will someday. But as it stands, my system colors recordings unbelievably and I go happily along.I imagine the degree of its value to your listening would arrive with your exerience of it, so that you had some way to compare.
A judiciously treated room will transform your system from a "bar sound" to that of a "concert hall". It will not fix the response of a flawed component.
I would like to hear Rives Audio's input on this one!
Rives?...
Also, I know a little about at least seeing pictures of what room modes look like, and I have a question. if you use an equalizer to eliminate a frequency mode, does that remove the dip at that frequency? If so can't you simply remove all the bass modes with an equalizer, dips, peaks and all? I'd like an asnwer to this. Or, can you simply eliminate the peaks in a room with an equalizer, like the Rives PARC. Maybe I should email Rives myself.
Rives?...
Flat frequency response is only a portion of what we strive to achieve in a high linearity system. It is quite possible to achieve something that one finds to be "quite enjoyable" without being anywhere near "flat". This is where personal preference comes into play. Some people like a specific sound and tailor their system to achieve that whereas others want the system to try its' best at reproducing what is on the recording without introducing a lot of its' own colourations. This is the difference between a "music lover" and an "audiophile". Due to the amount of highly coloured speakers being marketed and devoured by consumers, i would say that most people, even many that consider themselves to be "audiophiles", fall more into the "music lover" camp. This is not meant to be a "put-down" to "music lovers", only to show that there is a difference. Sean
>
Sean, If the reason we have stereo systems is to be able to listen to music and if we agree that we would like it to be as realistic as possible why would we want "flat frequence response" at the listening position? Most recordings are close multi miked - the end result of having FFR would be the equivilent of having your ear a few feet or in some case inches from the instrument(s) or voice, something that never happens live and sounds most unrealistic (have you ever heard a singers sibilance in an unmiked live performance?). Not at all realistic! The only exception would on those recording where the mikes are placed at an appropriate distance or very simple techniques are used. Any system set up will be static so some recording will sound more realistic on some systems and not on others. I would tune a system to sound as realistic as possible based primarily on the types of recordings I listen to most. FWIW while I accept your use of the terms "audiophile" and "music lover" I think it is perhaps more descriptive to say "audiophile" and "technophile". :-)