How Much Push/Pull Tube Power for Maggies

I have a 40 wpc el34 integrated tube amp and was thinking of mating it with a pair of maggies. i would probably start with the mmg's, and maybe work my way up. would this amp drive maggies? thanks.
cooch
55dok

"full dynamics of large orchestral music"?....from a pair of MMGs?...they'll fly apart long before they get there!

Dave
it's all about perspective. i prefer rear hall. i can achieve that with a 50 watt tube amp. you don't need a wolcott for a rear hall presentation of an orchestra. if you want front row, well, that's another matter.
This is a rule of thumb. A 50 watt amp will produce a sound equal to the speakers sensitivity at normal listening levels with some headroom to cover the peaks. Therefor, If your speakers are rated at 86 dB, it will take 50 watts of power to deliver this level of distortion free sound at a listening level of 3 meters or less. To deliver 106 dB under the same conditions, you would need 100 watts. I personally would not use an amp of less than 60 watts with speakers rated at 86 dB...you won't be happy with your system if you do.

HG
soda1@ix.netcom.com

It would take 18 watts to get 86db at 3 meters allowing 3db of headroom...1,796 watts to get 106db at 3 meters allowing 3db of headroom.

Dave
what is normal listening levels ? isn't around 80db ?

50 watts at 3 meters should have no trouble generating 80 db. for those who want to ratch up the intensity, i guess, more power is needed. is it necessary ?