How to audition speakers?

When auditioning speakers (1000-1500ish), are there things i should be aware of in terms of where i position myself, or playing music that works best for testing (i experiment with all types of music)etc.? How do you folks audition speakers?
brosenbe93f1
Always pay attention to the EQUIPMENT (including and especially IC's (interconnects, PC's (power cords) and speaker wire. Also take note of the speakers positioning in the room (in relation to room boundaries). For a listening room NOT to have any effect on the low-frequency characteristic of a loudspeaker (300 Hertz and below) the speakers should be about 6-7 ft from wall behind the speaker and side-walls. Naturally, such distances would require a very large room that many of us do not have. Point being, keep in mind the size of your listening room and the distances (from room boundaries)that you are able to position your speakers.
On the listening side, bring in music you are familiar with. A fine acoustic sound-stage; precise, stable stereo images should develop between and beyond the speakers themselves. Ideally, music should appear not to come from the speakers themselves --the effect as much to do with speaker quality as ALL other components. Also, listen for a neutral (ie; accurate) tonal balance) where voices and instruments have a natural/real "feel" and perspective.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

peter jasz
Select some music that you really know well. Pick 5-6 cd's (or albums) that highlight different parts of what you care most about. For example, cd1 track 2 for bass or cd2 track 4 for female vocals. Then compare each set of speakers with a concentrated listening of each of your key tracks.

You may need to narrow things down by listening to them at the dealership. As stated above, do so with the same other components (cd player, preamp, amp, cables). Or, try to optimize the speaker cable for each speaker and be prepared to buy both speaker and correct cable as a "system". I'd suggest the latter for a fairer comparison. If possible, make the base system (cd player, preamp, amp) as close to your system at home as possible.

Once you narrow things down a bit, take the speakers and appropriate cables home for an audition. It is very important to audition at home if you can. Experiment with toe-ins, distance from walls and listening position. Find where each of your finalists sound best and then compare. Generally, try to keep the speakers a few feet out of the corners and try to keep them aimed at or toward the sweet spot. A tip I just read: crouch down and, while listening, move back and then toward the speakers. If it sounds better after you moved back, then move the speakers closer together to get that same sound in your listening position. If it sounds better after you moved forward, move the speakers further apart. A good place to start is with the proverbial equilateral triangle -- speaker, speaker, you. But move the speakers together or apart based on what sounds better. Don't listen to them in a position too near the rear wall since the rear wall reflections will get to you too soon. The distance from the rear wall to the listening position should be greater than the distance from you to the speakers (ideally).

Good luck. If that's all too complicated, just make sure you listen to them at home after you've moved them to where they suit you and make sure you are using the same musical test on all of them.
Keep this simple. Arrange to drag a demo pair home and LIVE with them for a couple days in YOUR environment with YOUR equipment. If they work great with YOUR equipment, then seriously consider them.