How to eliminate system hum?

I have the following
Rotel 1090 amp
Hovland Pre-amp
Sony 777 CD player
Shahinian Speakers
I have this irritating hum/hiss when I turn on the pre-amp. The sound comes from the speakers when the pre-amp is turned on. If the pre-amp is off and the amp is on, the system is totally silent. It seems as if the amplifier is ok. It seems to be doing its job and is amplifying the crappy signal it is receiving.
Thinking my home electric was poorly configured, I had my electrician install a panel and dedicated lines for my system. The problem is now worse!
I don't think the pre-amp is to blame as I had the same problem with my previous pre-amp. I also have a new cd player.
I have read about "floating" the system ground by using 3 to 2 prong adapters on all system power cords. Is that what I should try?
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very appreciative. Having $20k worth of stuff that sounds bad is no fun!
holzhauer
thanks for the advice
i try the 3/2 adaptor on my nak ca7 preamp and it reduce the humming at least 50%. there is no humming coming from the amp. what else can i do to eliminate the humming completely.
I checked all the plugs connected to the surge protector and there's only one with 3 prongs, yet I get the hum. Since the proctector has 3prongs and is the one connected to the wall outlet, can I use an adapter for the only one that's 3 pronged and will the system still be safely grounded?
I was able to eliminate the hum and still have one ground path. The pre-amp is a good component to ground as it is centrally located. If the surge protector is the only path to ground then you could float all but one plug going into it. If the preamp went straight to the wall outlet,the surge protector can be be floated at the outlet without doing each input individually. I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't tell you if there might be a safety compromise. I can say the technique eliminated all hum from my system and I have had no problems.