"I'll pay you later today"

I've been buying and selling on Audiogon for a while, and as a seller I've had my share of tirekickers and "What's your best price?" fishermen. Lots of people ask questions, then are never heard from again. That doesn't bother me. The one thing I haven't experienced on Audiogon until recently has been someone who commits to a deal and then doesn't pay.

The last several times I've attempted to sell something, I've received quite a few "I want to buy your stuff! What's your PayPal address?" emails from zero-feedback members. I've got nothing against zero-feedback members - I was one once myself - but way too many of them send these emails, and are never heard from again.

Even worse are the ones who say, "I will pay you later today/tomorrow," basically asking you to hold the item, and then never come through. I've missed a couple of opportunities to sell because of these people, because I feel that if I've promised something to someone, they should get it.

So, is this some sort of sick joke than I'm too clueless to understand, or is it some sort of scam to build a database of PayPal email addresses for hack attempts, or what?

I suppose I need to start setting time limits, i.e, "My PayPal address is xxxxx, you have four hours to make your payment." I hate to be that way though.

Suggestions? Sympathy? Scorn? :-)
rex
When I'm selling a relatively expensive piece, I don't like to use Paypal because of the fees which result is money out of my pocket. So, I request check but, require $100 Paypal deposit.
I have had this numerous times as well, when someone agrees to buy it, I tell all future interested parties that I have seious interest, but no money yet, and if it falls through, I will contact them in x days so they can plan. Generally, most of the later offers will/have tolerated it, and yes some have gone elsewhere and ultimately cost me the sale, for then. I like Pawlowski6132's idea of a PP deposit, I might use that one, as long as I state that the deposit will be non refundable...
I like that idea: the first to paypal the money gets the goods. How does that work with the 3% fee? Does the person who sent you the money late, get stuck with the 3% fee even if you return the funds? That is not fair. How would that work exactly? That would, surely, get rid of the weak sisters.
The seller simply refunds the buyer's Paypal payment. No fee is incurred.