I’m gob smacked. What were you’re aha moments?

Had a productive couple of weeks on the used gear market and today has been digital demo day (Analog arrives next week). Added a Bryston BCD-3 and original Tara Labs Prime I/C’s to my system at very good prices. 

I don’t have “golden ears” by any stretch but I’m gob smacked at the results.

The BCD-3 is replacing an Oppo UDP-205 w/ DHL BL-1 I/C’s. Rest of gear is an Anthem STR integrated and ML Monti’s. My bass has easily doubled, maybe tripled. I can feel the pressurization in my room and it’s tight not bloated. 

I think this has been the biggest jump up in SQ I’ve experienced. What were your biggest surprises/improvements regardless of budget?

lmnop
Hmmmm-- Audio research Ref 6 - wow- Spatial Audio Speakers M3 Triodes--wow-Ref Cd9--Those were the wow times
This past year I replaced my entire system a component at a time. Consequently, many a smack. What made the largest change for the better was my recent XD upgrade to the Krell 575 Solo. Amazing. 
1969----There I was, a High School Senior listening to KLH-9's.I knew I had to get a pair.
1973----At a yard sale I picked up a Magnavox 175 chassis for $5.
When I realized that it was better than my Marantz 8b I started building.
Upgrading to Aragon Iridium monoblocks and then playing Yello - Flag vinyl through them... mind blowing
Two gobsmackments:  (1) wires.  Never knew what they could do for a system.  Most cost effective money you can spend on system upgrade.  (2) the difference a preamp can make in a system.
Jim Heckman