In the market for a plasma.........suggestions?

I've been researching plasma tv's for quite some time now and would like to hear any suggestions which brands to check out. My sitting distance is around 12.5' from couch to wall where I'd like to wall mount the plasma. The screen size would either be a 42 or 50 inch. Been reading over on avs forum and it seems many people are happy with the Panasonic and Hitachi displays. I've looked at the Panasonic th50px60u and Hitachi 42HDS69 and really liked them. Apparently though with the Hitachi, many people were having macroblocking issues in dark scenes. Do all plasma's have problems such as the Hitachi? I'd like to keep the purchase under 3k. Thanks for your help.
128x128bradz
When it comes to TVs, I look for what the pros use, and the pros use Sony or Panasonic reference monitors in their broadcast centers.

While side by side comparisons are helpful, I believe it's highly unlikely that all the displays are properly calibrated in dealer showrooms. This is a problem with TV shopping in general.
Okay, Undertow, let's get the technologies straight. You gave kudos to the Sony SXRD, and I strongly agree, however the SXRD is Sony's tweak of LCOS, not LCD! Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCOS) is actually my preferred of the "new" technologies for RPTV, CRT RPTV still being number one for many reasons. Why? Recently The Perfect Vision, after testing one, said that the SXRD had resolution and black level equivalent to the best CRT RPTVs!?! My experience as well. LCOS TVs do offer great resolution and picture quality and prices are coming down. JVC's tweak is called D-ILA, or Direct Image Light Amplifier. In any case I prefer these to DLP or LCD RPTVs, with an honorable mention to Sony's new three-chip LCD RPTV, which is outstanding for the money, but as deep as a CRT RPTV and costs more. LCD flat panels, if they're over 25", IMHO, suck. There has been no significant break-through in this technology nor do most experts predict one. The retailers are pushing them now since plasmas have come down in price, so the LCD flat panels are the new "cash cows," but one can do better for less with a plasma. I also agree with Dawgbyte that Hitachi plasmas are overall the best popular price displays I've seen, but I know that the Panasonics get good reviews as well. (They all have pros and cons.) The absolute, hands-down best plasma I've ever seen is a Runco, pricey, but probably worth it. And to Tvad, the "pros" use those because they likely get them for little or no cost; that's the way this industry works. If you mean the custom installers, they're going for availability and mark-up, not performance (generally).
Right on, Bradz! Since you have Maggies, you're obviously an audiophile, so you "look before leaping," and you're wise. The surge protectors with advanced line filtration, like the Monster, clean-up the picture quality because they eliminate AC line noise and stabilize voltage, either of which can have negative effects on picture quality (and of course sound in a good system). I use the Monster surge protectors with "Clean Power" when I do a system, because they work and I can get a decent price on them. Regarding the Oppo 971, I haven't tried that combo, so I'd go with the recommendation from the folks who have. The 970, as you've read, is a very nice unit for the money. Though Toshiba typically builds good, reliable products I don't think I'd invest in an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player yet. They're still in the "teeth-cutting" stage.
And to Tvad, the "pros" use those because they likely get them for little or no cost; that's the way this industry works.
Soundsmith1 (Answers)
Yes, the networks get the gear at attractive prices, but that's only part of the story. I promise you the people responsible for generating and sending out the programming from the broadcast centers are fanatical about the quality of the picture and audio. Network equipment buyers do not procure gear that gives them less than the reference picture quality necessary to meet their standards.

Wouldn't you think NBC, which is owned by General Electric, would use GE TVs in their broadcast centers if all they cared about was the bottom line? NBC uses Panasonic.

In any case, mine is just an observation that one may or may not find helpful in making their decision.
Confessions first--I'm a HD junkie. I've had HD in my house for 6/7 years. Even after all that newness I still watch "whatever" in HD as a first choice.
I had the Monster 2000 near 5/6 years ago. I had the Pioneer Elite pro 119 at the time. The Monster helped it and made the purchase worthwhile. (Back then I had front projector for HD.) When I got my present Mits. the Monster did't do jack;period.--So I'm only stating what worked for me, and what didn't--.As far as pure PQ; I'll bet the Toshiba HD DVD player (hd disc) will beat any SD player. Sure I know this is un unfair comparison. Right now my AV spending habit is in remission. To bad these guys couldn't get together and share the market,instead of mucking it up. They had this kind of debacle just before DVDs came to market. As far as plasma goes--I can't go smaller than my 65" I already own.