Input Requested on Possible Amp Change

I would appreciate some input on whether it's a good idea to change amps. I have some Cerious Technologies React 2 speakers, which I really like. They are rated at 88db/1m/1m, 3.2ohms at 122Mhz...FWIW.

After I acquired the React 2's, I then acquired a Cary Audio SLP 98p tube preamp which to me was an audible upgrade from my McCormack RLD SS preamp, although it may be just the gain characteristics. Whatever I like it a lot.

After I acquired the 98, although I was thinking tubes...the 88db and a very good deal pushed me to acquire a pair of Cary Audio monster SS mono amps, CAD 500's. I've never turned them above 4, and that was LOUD! These replaced a McCormack DNA125 which also could get loud.

Because I like the tube preamp so much, I've been thinking tubes again for amplification and I'm trying to stay under $4K. I live in a place where most folks think Best Buy is the bomb so auditions with my speakers are out.

I guess my question is...will 75/80 watts each from some tube mono amps do the job with my React 2's or am I nuts not to stick with the Cary SS amps?

I sit about 3 meters from my speakers, turn it up sometimes for blues rock, and listen to mostly jazz and female vocalists at normal levels the rest of the time. This could move to 5 meters someday but probably not.

I am looking at some used Quad ii-80's (80w RMS each) and some used Atma-sphere MC-60's (75w with autoformers).

PS I tried the amp forum and although I know ohm's law, that stuff still makes my eyes glaze over. Thanks in advance for your time.
silversurfer0116
Thanks for the reply. I do like to go loud sometimes, but I am not a bass nut. I like tight, authentic bass but not overbearing bass. I am leaning toward the Qaud ii-80 right now. There is a V-12 out there but I keep seeing "some" people complain about the heat Cary tube amps put out. What is your take on this? I've got a Cary tube preamp, two Cary SS amps, and a Cary DAC and they are all great as far as I'm concerned.
You have good amps. I had the Cary v12 R and it's a great amp but does run very hot. The CAD 120's runs cooler and has better bass. Plenty of power and is a really good match with your pre. The amp should be in a rack that is open all around or open on the floor.
I keep wondering why the heat that every tube amp makes to a greater or lesser extent is so problematic. I thank Polk432 for the answer which is space around the amp or amps. Other than that sitting 10 ft from the amp shouldn't be much of an issue, I never found it to be so.
To the OP I like the Cary tube amps and unless you are concerned with the space issue I would choose them over the Quad which tends to the "polite" side. I must concur that tube power amps confer more of the importance of tube technology (tube magic) than tubes anywhere else they may be applied.
Mechans, Polk432, ZD542... Thanks for your input. I think I'll be buying a tube unit(s) in the near future.

The heat issue concerns me for two reasons. One...heat is the enemy of all things electric so reliability comes into play. Two... I use a custom made cabinet to house my stuff and short of installing some fans, I doubt any tube amp should be in a cabinet. I did remove the back of it and do keep the doors open when my rig is on, but likely I would benefit from fans, dead quiet fans, if I put a tube amp(s) in the cabinet.

I am trying not to get an "entry" amp(s). I want to buy and be done. Of course I said that when I bought the CAD-500's. I've heard great things about the new Carver tube amps but they rarely hit the market, are nearly twice my budget, and apparently are no longer made or supported. I read where Jade (Emotiva) bought his design and might put out tube amps but I may need hearing aids by the time that happens. May be BS anyway and Emotiva has had quality issues, at least in the past.

As far as the Quad ii-80's being too "polite", I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but...have you listened to them? Quad has the polite, chamber music rep but more than one of the reviews for these 80 watt units states the bass is surprisingly good. One even said "ballsy" FWIW. I do like Quad products. I own two pair of their 12L2 bookshelf speakers for the den and bedroom and they are quite musical. Great rep...like Cary, etc.

Polk 432...I agree. The Cary CAD 500 MB amps are great SS amps with head room for days. I will be disappointed if I buy a tube unit(s) and I don't like the sound better but nothing ventured...nothing gained. As I mentioned I live in a place where the Bose radio is considered the pinnacle of high fidelity so short of loading up the speakers/amps and driving mega miles to a dealer's shop; I pretty much have to just do my homework, pull the trigger, and hope it's all it's cracked up to be. So far, so good. Really at this level just about all the gear is good, it's just a matter of preference.