Integrated amp recommendation around 3k (I need more power!)

Hi everyone,

Yep, another of those "which amp would you recommend" questions.  My system is settling in very nicely recently.  I've bounced around with speakers quite a bit, but I keep returning to little Harbeth P3esr.  They fit my room well and sound beautiful. However, they have a sensitivity of only 83db.  Right now, my system is comprised of the following:  VPI Traveler Turntable w/Clearaudio Maestro V2 cartridge, Croft RIAA phono stage, and the LFD LE V integrated.  As nice as the LFD is sonically, it just falls a bit short on power 65wpc into 8ohms) with the little Harbeths.

So, I'm looking to move to a more powerful integrated amp.  I'm certainly not a headbanger (or I'd have different speakers), but I would like to have ample headroom and current to maximize the P3s.  I'm looking at a budget of around $3k, used or new.  As I have an all analog 2-channel rig, I don't need a DAC, subwoofer outs, tone controls, balance, etc.  Heck, don't even care about a remote.  Just good, clean, dynamic power. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Best, Scott
smrex13
@almarg As always, thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and for looking up the specific specs of my gear.  (Maybe I should be looking at a bigger, more efficient Harbeth...). In any event, I appreciate the words of caution with the CJ.  Could you give me some idea of the input impedance that would be more reasonable with the Croft?  I've often heard 100/1 as a minimum ratio, so I'm assuming at least 50kohms would be a target?

Thanks again!
Scott
You're welcome, Scott.  The majority of tube-based components providing line-level outputs utilize a coupling capacitor in series with their outputs, which typically results in their output impedance being highest (within the audible frequency range) at 20 Hz.  If the output impedance at that frequency is known (which will usually be the case if Stereophile has reviewed the product) a load impedance 10 or more times greater than that value will usually be safe.

If as in this case only a nominal impedance is known (nominal impedances usually being specified based on a mid-range frequency such as 1 kHz), I would recommend a factor in the area of 50 to 75x.  So for what is apparently the 500 ohm nominal output impedance of the Croft a load impedance of 37.5K or more would certainly seem comfortable.  And at around 25K or less I would start to feel a bit uncomfortable, especially if you envision the possibility of eventually changing to speakers having significantly better deep bass extension.

Best regards,
-- Al

P.S: I’ll add to my previous comments that if some deep bass rolloff were to occur as a result of a less than optimal impedance match between the phono stage and the amp it conceivably could actually help the speakers to sound better, by keeping signal frequencies out of the speakers that they can’t handle comfortably and can’t reproduce anyway. But IMO introducing a known inaccuracy into a system, as a means of minimizing a limitation elsewhere, is in general not a good way to go. Especially if eventual upgrade of the speakers or electronic components is a possibility.

Best regards,
-- Al

The Parasound Halo Integrated is 2500.00, has 160wpc, circuits designed by John Curl, also has 40 amps of peak current.  I went from a Rogue Cronus Magnum 100wpc tube integrated to the Halo integrated and couldn't be happier. 

I agree the limitations may be the speakers themselves.  Before I change amps, I would look for a larger pair of 2 way speakers with at least a 6 1/2 inch woofer to give you a sense of bass and a richer midrange.  There are a lot of  2 way stand mounted speakers in the up to 3K price range.  You will get more sound improvement from changing speakers than with replacing an amp.

@ stereo5 - thanks for the recommendation.  The Parasound looks interesting, but it's got a lot of functions that I don't need (and would be paying for).  The reviews seem good, though.  

With respect to the speakers, I haven't heard anything that I like nearly as much as Harbeth.  I have heard the P3s with a Simaudio integrated, and they sounded far more dynamic than they do with the LFD, which is why I'm considering a different amp.

Best, Scott