Integrated amp recommendation around 3k (I need more power!)

Hi everyone,

Yep, another of those "which amp would you recommend" questions.  My system is settling in very nicely recently.  I've bounced around with speakers quite a bit, but I keep returning to little Harbeth P3esr.  They fit my room well and sound beautiful. However, they have a sensitivity of only 83db.  Right now, my system is comprised of the following:  VPI Traveler Turntable w/Clearaudio Maestro V2 cartridge, Croft RIAA phono stage, and the LFD LE V integrated.  As nice as the LFD is sonically, it just falls a bit short on power 65wpc into 8ohms) with the little Harbeths.

So, I'm looking to move to a more powerful integrated amp.  I'm certainly not a headbanger (or I'd have different speakers), but I would like to have ample headroom and current to maximize the P3s.  I'm looking at a budget of around $3k, used or new.  As I have an all analog 2-channel rig, I don't need a DAC, subwoofer outs, tone controls, balance, etc.  Heck, don't even care about a remote.  Just good, clean, dynamic power. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Best, Scott
smrex13

The Parasound Halo Integrated is 2500.00, has 160wpc, circuits designed by John Curl, also has 40 amps of peak current.  I went from a Rogue Cronus Magnum 100wpc tube integrated to the Halo integrated and couldn't be happier. 

I agree the limitations may be the speakers themselves.  Before I change amps, I would look for a larger pair of 2 way speakers with at least a 6 1/2 inch woofer to give you a sense of bass and a richer midrange.  There are a lot of  2 way stand mounted speakers in the up to 3K price range.  You will get more sound improvement from changing speakers than with replacing an amp.

@ stereo5 - thanks for the recommendation.  The Parasound looks interesting, but it's got a lot of functions that I don't need (and would be paying for).  The reviews seem good, though.  

With respect to the speakers, I haven't heard anything that I like nearly as much as Harbeth.  I have heard the P3s with a Simaudio integrated, and they sounded far more dynamic than they do with the LFD, which is why I'm considering a different amp.

Best, Scott
Interesting that the LFD LE V doesn’t have the current to optimally drive the P3ESR. When I used the LFD LE III to drive the Harbeth SHL5, the sound is very open and dynamic. The combination sounds a lot better than most of the amps I have tried (with the Harbeth).

Having said that, you may be right about the low sensitivity of the P3ESR. At 83.5 dB it is surely on the low side compared to the SHL5 and C7ES3 which are rated at 86 dB. Also, the SHL5’s impedance is 8 ohms while the P3ESR is at 6 ohms.

The Harbeth surely sounds different with different amps. A powerful amp is certainly useful if one listens at higher volume levels (especially the larger speakers SHL5 and 40.1 / 40.2). A friend who owns the 40.1 has used many amps on the speakers (he currently owns all these amps) - LFD LE III, Exposure 2010S, Leben CS600, Naim 32.5/135 monoblocks, and the Naims got the vote. As good as the Leben and LFD sounds, they lacked power, and they lacked some neutrality of the Naims. The LFD made everything sounds a bit larger than life while the Naims gave a more accurate portrayal. The LFD’s strength or appeal is its tube-like glow which gave music a nice illuminating feel.

You might want to give Exposure 3010S2-D a look.
I run a Rogue Cronus Mag w/KT120 at 100 watts with Vandersteen 2 if that isn't enough  
power the Rogue Pharaoh  has 185 watts tube preamp section solid-state amp I have heard the Harbeths 40.2 on both great sound stage and details 

The Cronus is about $2500 and the Pharaoh is $3500
Rogue Audio is in PA a bunch of great guys too
I am driving right now harbeth shl5 with Synthesis Roma 37DC+ hybrid amp ,d class power 500w per channel+tube input stages. More volume,the more power into the sound and weight,the sound is full with wonderfull midrange.I was inspired by youtube movies of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQKhGVkdlE and bought one from Italy and it sounds very similar.