Interconnects and non-believers

For anyone who denies there are differences in cables, I have news for you.
There are vast differences.  I just switched interconnects between my CD transport (Cyrus) and DAC (Schiit Gumby), and the result was transformational.  Every possible parameter was improved: better definition, better soundstaging,  better bass, better depth etc.
I can’t understand how any audiophile with ears can deny the differences.  Is it delusion or dogma?
128x128rvpiano
@amg56, I never, ever said in any of my many posts about this subject, that a change in cabling does not affect sound. In fact, that was the basis of every single post I’ve written about this subject. A change in cable DOES affect sound. My argument is that cables do not get out of the way of the music as many audiophiles claim. In fact, they’re doing just the opposite. Cables add their own flavor to the Sonic signature of your system. They are in fact, tone controls. When one hears more air or more soundstage or whatever, it is because the cables whether it’s between your components or between your amplifier and speaker, are doing something to the sound to manipulate it to give you the perception of more this or more that. I just can’t stand to hear people say that cables do not make a difference. Of course they make a difference. No one however, has made an argument to support the idea that if you really want to hear what your components sound like, theoretically, your interconnects will be the same wire that’s inside of your components. Why hasn’t anyone giving me an explanation for this? Please, please enlighten me.

Also, no one has answered my question regarding percentage of critiquing versus percentage of enjoying.
@devilboy
I believe I did answer your question, sort of, maybe not in actual percentile numbers but how it is approached by myselfSo if you want percent lets say 10% critical analysis and the 90% listening which obviously includes some analysis but more for the art of pleasure.

@uberwaltz, wow that's impressive. With all due respect, what the hell are you doing on audiogon? This site is for people who care more about evaluation then pleasure.
devilboy,

You seem to make some sweeping claims that cables always change the sound and act as tone controls. What do you base that upon?

I’m no engineer, but having watched electric engineers hash this cable debate stuff out for many years, many will tell you - (that is, ones who aren’t trying to sell you a cable) that for the most part, cable performance has been a well understood phenomenon for a long time and if you select a well engineered cable with the proper characteristics for the job (e.g. insulation, capacitance values, etc) all the signal will get through. There isn’t therefore any particular reason to expect a sonic difference if you are using two well engineered cables both suited for the same job. Sure, some cables can be engineered to sound different by altering certain parameters, but they can also work essentially identically.

In controlled listening tests, (blinded for sighted bias), sometimes cables seemed to be distinguishable, other times not. Many times people who have sworn that they could easily distinguish between a high end cable and cheap cable have not been able to do so once they didn’t know which was playing. (I’ve experienced this myself).

Apropos of the subject of interconnects, here’s one example testing a variety of interconnects (french site translated):

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=...

Note the measurements of the cables; they are so similar it should have helped predict the results of the blind tests: that the panel could not reliably distinguish between the cables when they didn't know which was playing.

So....do cables sometimes change the sound of a system? Seems plausible it can be the case for a variety of reasons. But do they always change the sound and are high end cables always distinguishable from lower priced cables? Apparently not.
@devilboy 
 No one however, has made an argument to support the idea that if you really want to hear what your components sound like, theoretically, your interconnects will be the same wire that’s inside of your components. Why hasn’t anyone giving me an explanation for this? Please, please enlighten me.
I believe that has been discussed before, and it's been pointed out by a quote from some engineer who makes amps that wires under 6" or so don't make much of a difference so long as it's of a high purity. It's also borne out by the use of traces on circuit boards: they're so short that they negate the need for wire. 

Which takes that argument one silly step further: why not just use traces between components?

The same argument has been made for speaker wire and I've tried it and found that using the same type of wire is not the way to go. I've heard much better using different cabling. What helps to make up the component of the speaker doesn't translate to what connects the speaker.

Also, yes all cables are tone controls but some, in some areas, do the least amount of damage to the signal, in effect, getting out of the way of the signal. Your argument is just semantics run amok. Lighten up. 

With all due respect, what the hell are you doing on audiogon? This site is for people who care more about evaluation then pleasure.
Where the hell do you get off saying that? This site is all about both. Just look at any of the thousands of threads.

All the best,
Nonoise