Interconnects, some have directional indicators, why?

I'm curious as to why some interconnects are directional? Is there a physical internal difference and do they generally sound better and cost more than non-directional cables? Thanks for your interest.
phd
mihorn said:

I have copper rods instead of fuses in my few components. Copper rods in the correct direction always sound better.
I am an audiophile, not an electrical engineer.
What protection do you have in the event of an overload or ground fault event if the equipment is not fused?

The branch circuit breaker will not protect you equipment.
https://www.tdi.texas.gov/fire/documents/fmnec70papers.pdf

atmasphere

@jea48

“There it was, right in front of me in black and white! The current does not flow around a loop setting up a magnetic field as I had, along with countless other engineers, been taught in high school and university. It is the other way round. The electric current is but an artifact of a more fundamental entity.”

to which atmasphere replied,

"You can work that either way you want to- put the em field somehow in place and the current will flow in the wire, or put the current through the wire and the em field will be generated. Either way its a red herring and has nothing to do with directionality nor suggests a means for directionality."

Sorry to report you’re still confused. Current traveling down the wire generates a *magnetic field" - that’s the *induced magnetic field* and has absolutely nothing to do with either an em field or the *electromagnetic wave* that is the audio signal. The induced magnetic field is stationary, obeys the right hand rule, whereas the electromagnetic wave (audio signal) travels at near light speed, as I’ve described. 

jea48
What protection do you have in the event of an overload or ground fault event if the equipment is not fused?
No protection. It is a risk I take. I don't recommend that to anyone. I wrote that here to show it can be tested and see the truth while you are guessing negatively.
Alex

mihorn said:
 I wrote that here to show it can be tested and see the truth while you are guessing negatively.
Please show me one post of mine where I said fuses could not be directional. I do not have any opinion on fuse directionality, one way or the other. I have never personally experimented with fuses. Until proven otherwise I take others at their word they hear differences. As for bypassing the safety fuse in audio equipment I personally would never do that. Even if the piece of equipment sounded better.  I have seen the power of electricity several times in my life time. Never fear it, but you best respect it!

As for wire directionality, I have experimented and have found solid core wire is directional. Especially solid core silver wire. Why is it directional? Who really cares! Lots of theory out there. I just get bent out of shape when someone says the signal is AC and flows back and forth so how could wire possibly be directional.

Geoffkait 12-5-2016
Current traveling down the wire generates a *magnetic field" - that’s the *induced magnetic field* and has absolutely nothing to do with either an em field or the *electromagnetic wave* that is the audio signal. The induced magnetic field is stationary, obeys the right hand rule, whereas the electromagnetic wave (audio signal) travels at near light speed, as I’ve described.

Geoff, I believe this is not correct. It would be more correct for DC, but as you'll realize AC (including audio signals) is continuously changing in both amplitude and polarity. And the magnetic field described by the right hand rule will therefore be continuously changing in both magnitude and direction.

Also, in the context of a signal propagating along a cable I believe it is incorrect to distinguish between an "induced magnetic field" (stationary or otherwise) and the "electromagnetic wave that is the audio signal." There is simply a magnetic field and an electric field. These two fields are what propagate at near light speed.

That said, much of the discussion of these matters, while perhaps of academic interest to a few, IMO has little if any practical relevance.  

Regards,
-- Al

P.S:  My thanks are extended to Marqmike for his gracious if perhaps somewhat premature comment :-)