Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent

@knollbrent - my earlier suggestion of the Marantz was my attempt to keep the total cost =< $2k.  I owned the Marantz myself and it served me well for about 5 years.  I have since upgraded to the Technics 1200G.   It's my retirement table.

You made the right choice given your willingness to stretch the budget some.

I was able to find a like new Music Hall 9.1 TT on this site for $750 and a gently used Clearaudio Maestro V2 cart for $525.  While I am sure a table like a VPI Prime or Classic may have much to offer, I would be hard pressed to replace my setup for 2 or 3 times the price and expect a material improvement in sound quality.

As is usually been my experience, most people on this site treat their equipment with great care and typically only sell to either upgrade, downsize or just to try something new.  My entire system was acquired used on this site and Audio Mart, and every purchase has met or exceeded my expectations.

Of course, it all depends on your definition of 'great turntable'. I'd say a good enough turntable is definitely possible to build for under $2,000.

For example, you could hunt for a used Systemdek IIX. Off the shelf maybe not that fantastic, but it is endlessly tweakable, and you can quite easily nudge it to the very respectable level for very little investment.

I have tried it with Jelco 750E 10" tonearm, and it sounds stunning. Jelco will give you the ability to try out various mid-to-high-range cartridges, so you won't be limited in that area (I'm currently using Denon DL-103 and Ortofon OM20). I'm mating Jelco with Nagaoka cables, which is an awesome upgrade.

Lastly, you can top it off with iFi Micro iPhono 2 preamp and still won't break the bank. iFi iPhono 2 is maybe the best bang for the buck I've seen lately (but don't bother with iPhono 1, it's not nearly as good at 2). It will give you that much coveted 'silky' and deeply sonorous sound that I was previously only able to hear with seriously expensive phono stage.

With the above configuration, I am convinced that you will be able to give more expensive turntables a good run for their money. Of course, you won't be able to beat ultra high end gear, but for the meagre $2,000 or so you're sitting in a very respectable audiophile position. Nothing to scoff at.
The technics 1200gr really makes things unfair to many turntable manufacturers.  it is a lot of table for the money.   a lot.  you should listen to one.  The VPI scout is also a lot of table for the money, especially an older one with the acrylic platter.  just a steal for what they are going for.