Is a Hydra the real deal? How do you know?

yeah, I know it sounds wierd. A friend of mine recently suggested one of the pieces in his system is a Hydra conditioner. . .and a valued item.

I'm not disagreeing with his information.... my question is this... "As the Shunyata Hydra's need to have a cable specially made to fit/operate the conditioner, and most folks choose to use one made by shunyata, how do you know if it's the conditioner or the power cord doing the job?

I spent some time recently asessing various power cords. Right off I saw the need to buy some adapters for the cords to decrease the wear and tear on my gear, and speed up the process (run in time of the cords). I put the cords + adapters onto some other gear in a secondary system... things changed sonically almost immediately... as it would have with use on my main system. No other items in the mix. Just the adapter, power cord, and the unit (s).

I'm wondering how one can determine the advantage of the hydra's if no cord - even a cheap one - comes supplied with the units? Apart from the ability to plug in more items than a single adapter gives... it just seems like a lot of money to spend for a multi outlet center..... if of course I was told wrong about the Hydras not being supplied with cords.... I apologize profusely. But a dealer told me Shunyata does not provide a cord with their conditioners.... it must be purchased separately. I guess he's correct as I see many questions about which cord for Hydras for either this or that applicaton... and that different Hydras' have different sonic attributes... Well how do you know if right off the bat you gotta add a Shunyata cord to it... Oh, by the way... I own a Shunyata Python VX, and I do dig it. ...just curious about adding a Hydra elsewhere in the system for one or two other pieces that are not 'conditioned'..

Thank you very much for your time.
blindjim
But a dealer told me Shunyata does not provide a cord with their conditioners.... it must be purchased separately. I guess he's correct as I see many questions about which cord for Hydras for either this or that applicaton... and that different Hydras' have different sonic attributes... Well how do you know if right off the bat you gotta add a Shunyata cord to it..
Hydras, like other components, will perform better or worse with power cord changes. I use Hydra 2 conditioners, and the performance of my system improves with the addition of better cords feeding the Hydras. You can get excellent results with Python Alpha cords, but you can also use different brands. I have used the Python, and presently use DCCA Extreme Reference and Elrod EPS3 Signature cords. Frankly, I could've probably stopped with the Python Alpha.

How do you know the Hydra is working without using a top shelf cord? Simple. Buy an inexpensive 20a, 14 gauge, shielded power cord from Radio Shack or an electrical supply house and use it to feed the Hydra. You will probably hear some improvement in the system. If you do hear an improvement, you can be certain a better cord is going to ratchet up the benefits. If you don't hear any difference, or if the sound worsens, then you might try a starter Shunyata 20a cord like the Diamondback or Taipan Alpha. If that's not something you want to do, then move on to another product.

Buy a used Hydra and a used Shunyata power cord, and you'll be able to re-sell both with little or no loss. Basically, a free trial.
Tvad,

Just curious as to why you went with multiple 2's as compared to a 4,6 or 8 model. To keep your digital completely separate?

Thnx,
Just curious as to why you went with multiple 2's as compared to a 4,6 or 8 model. To keep your digital completely separate?
That's exactly why.

However, a friend has tried two Hydra 2 and one Hydra 4 on the same AC line, and he prefers the sound of the separate Hydra 2s.
Tvad

thanks. I suppose that's what burns my butt about having to add a better cord, or even 'a' cord is simply that . . .spending $500 to $1000, for conditioning devices and right away having to get into the pocket even deeper, yet again... and not by choice... by need. One would think makers of these items would supply at least something with the item.

I didn't know Radio Shack had that sort of cord... I understood it to be different from the 'IEC' types... and of course didn't give it much thought either.

I have a PS Audio UPC 200. Stock cord that came with it.... matter of fact that was a primary reason though not the sole reason, I got the UPC instead of a Hydra. Always felt I want to see what it does first.... then maybe make changes... just old fashioned I guess.

How would you say the Hydra 2, or 4, differs from the upc 200 given a like cord is on each of the units...?? I'm trying to decide wether or not to add either a Hydra 2, 4, or simply go with something like the Equitech unit that handles 1300 or 1600 watts... I use the UPC strickly for the amp in High Current mode... one pc on one outlet and the other on the second set of outlets... and I do like the improvement and punch a lot... but it is minimal - noticeable, but minimal... I did swap about some cords in place of the OEM cord... and Yep! It's better with better cords... It's also doubtful I'll be spending more for a cord than the unit it attaches to is worth. Doesn't make sens. A $500 item with a $750 cord on it? Ah, well... no. that'd kind of like putting 3000 bucks worth of rims and tires on a 1000 dollar car... to me anyway.