Is Digital actually better than Analog?

I just purchased an Esoteric DV-50s. The unit is fantastic in the sense that you can hear every detail very clearly in most recordings. Here is the thing, does it make for an enjoyable musical expereince? With this type of equipment, you can actually tell who can actually sing and who can really play. Some artist who I have really enjoyed in the past come across as, how shall I put it, not as talented. This causes almost a loss of enjoyment in the music.
Which comes to my Vinyl curiousity. I dont own a single record, but I have been curious why so many have kept the LP's (and tubes for that matter) alive for so long after the digital revolution and now I am thinking it is probably has to do with LP's being more laid back and maybe even more musical. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would someone recommend going back to Analog. I was thinking of getting a entry level player like a Scout Master.
128x128musicaudio
Taking a Doors tape and mixing in in 5.1 does not change how it was recorded. Music can be gimmicked to sound surround when it really isn't... No one is fooled by this kind of compromise!

This is such a true statement....gimmicked sound is not good, Depending on the master tapes it may be difficult to get something decent in 5.1 if the studio recording was not planned that way (for example you don't have all the separate tracks for each instrument/microphone).

However, not many people realize the amount of "gimmicking" going on in order to produce good stereo sound and a good stereo image. Artificial reverb and the like is almost always added to certain tracks. Voice is often doubled. Check out Sergeant Pepper on Wikipedia for an example of severe messing around in stereo....
Musicaudio,

Coming from a recent vinyl convert here is my limited opinion. I recently purchased a vinyl rig which cost total (cartridge, phono pre, and table/arm) less than half of what my digital rig (marantz SA-14) cost. Not that it necessarily matters but my vinyl rig is the marantz tt-15s1 for comparison. Anyhow here are my thoughts about your question. Before I purchased my vinyl setup I was looking for a new preamp. While in several different high end shops I decide to listen to a few turtables. The first time I sat down I listened to dire straits money for nothing. I got goosebumps. I have NEVER had this reaction to any equipment I have auditioned. Needless to say I quickly decided that I must get a vinyl set up. It is now about 8 months later and I am still extremely happy with my decision. Direct CD to vinyl comparisons in my rig always lead me to the same conclusion, that the vinyl is just more real and lifelike. I will say this. The vinyl is MUCH more work. In other words the records themselves really seem to very in quality as far as the recording itself. So you have to spend some time learning about labels, early pressings, 1/2 speed masterings, etc.., etc.. these make a huge difference in sound quality. You will need to clean your albums, much more maintenance than CDs. My suggestions would be if you don't mind the search/research on albums and don't mind cleaning and maintaining the vinyl then go for it, I think you will be rewarded with the effort. If on the other hand you want to just pop in a CD and listen to the music then stick with the CDs. I have no problem enjoying either format tremendously, but given a quality recording on vinyl you just can't beat the goosebumps that I still get IMO anyhow.
Cdwallace: I wonder how many hours by week or month you are hearing live music and which kind of music. Could you tell us?

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
>>Check out Sergeant Pepper on Wikipedia for an example of severe messing around in stereo....<<

I kinda doubt George Martin and the band were really thinking about us audiophools when the album was mixed down. IMO of course.
Raul,

Why don't you tell us what exactly is needed to make a system sound live.

Give us the information that will allow us to experience what you experience.

I need to know which cartridge on which arm and which turntable you can assure me this experience will happen for me.

Live sound is the reference so it should be quite easy to design a system to do this. What are important speaker characteristics that you feel is essential to reproducing live music in the home.

Which record labels produce viable recordings.

Explain to me what makes and amplifier more musical for the REAl music lover like myself?

Raul where I come from the source is the reference and I hear enough live music and real instruments to be an expert like you so my piano lesson and season tickets to the Baltimore Chanber Orchestra etc. have served me well. As you know now that its 2006 its hard to find performances that are not amplified and or do not use electronic instruments. Please from now on don not assume I am deficient, I am an audio professional, not a hobbyist.

Here's my current two channel system tell me where I need to change components and why please; Cause its not better than my surround system based around the same speakers.

ATC Anniverary 50
ATC Concept 4 subwoofer
Lake Contour crossover
ATC SCA2 or Motif MC7 with black gate ps upgrade and modified input impedance circuit
EAR834P resistors trimmed to match tubes .1%
Roksan Xerxes X, with Benz Micro M2
Custom made cables
Cartridge aligned with oscillascope