Is Paypal safe?

I can't access to the Paypal site all day today, and some one have just deposited some money into my Paypal account yesterday. Is it safe to use these type of services? and will there be any protection for the members if the services close down some day?
dtsag
Rayhall,
I agree. I believe that customer service, or rather, the LACK thereof, will be the downfall of PayPal.
We, personally, have not had any pleasant experiences dealing with the customer service reps; getting passed from one to another (HOPS) or never having any answers (you’ll have to call back – WHAT?!?) - all being incredibly indifferent.

I sincerely hope that Damon is taking this feedback here as seriously as it really is and hope that they hare appropriate measures in place to improve their service. Things like # HOPS a call takes until resolved, # days calls are open unresolved, % of calls that are resolved to the CUSTOMER’s SATISFACTION. With corrective action plans to get this fixed and keep it in control.
If not, then I believe that they will go the way of so many dot-coms – great idea, but no concept of how to run a business successfully.

If Providian has really entered the arena with PayPal, then they have an even longer road to travel, since Providian has a long history of customer fraud and deception.
I totally agree that these kinds of issues should be raised here.
Swampwalker--
I took a peek at iescrow's web site (I believe its called Tradenable now) and they appear to offer quite a bit of protection, but charge significantly more than PayPal. It'll be interesting to see if more business might bring down the price a bit.

Also, it appears that PayPal is getting a big boost in the arm from the investment community. Hopefully, this will help them fix up whatever problems they're having and become a first class outfit.

See http://tscquote.thestreet.com/BBStory.jhtml?tkr=EBAY&id=114198207&src=REUTERS

cheers, Ken
Haven't had any problems so far. Every now and then their site is hard to access... maybe high traffic?
Hi Rayhall,

Thanks for your comments.

Customer Service is tackling many of these issues and our recent funding is going to allow us to make additional investments in the Customer Service Operations arena. Some software changes are happening and additional staffing is coming aboard.

As it relates to your transaction---

If the transaction was placed on a credit card, the credit is placed after you cancel it. However, the credit appearing on your credit card account can take several days to post because of the clearing time.

Sorry for my delay in responding to this, but I generally hit around twenty different areas looking for specific concerns and I do not work weekends. I usually visit audiogon every couple of days because it is not as trafficked as the other sites I go to.