Is the Simaudio Moon Eclipse good value? Help

Looking to put a system together and have an opportunity to pick up a Simaudio Eclipse CD player for $1K or so. My question is this: when the Eclipse was released in 2001 it was roughly $7K and was part of many a reference system. Some 13 years later is it still a good value? Or has technology improved to where that $1K is better spent on a newer (but still used)CD player? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
markesj
Value-wise at $1k I'd say it's worth the gamble. That's actually a very good price imo depending on the condition.

A lot of the performance of the Eclipse will be about synergy, (impedance match? or mismatch?) with the other electronics in your system. For instance, I used to have the Simaudio Nova many systems ago and eventually sold it because it wasn't performing (sounding) like I wanted. It's a quality cdp, but did not match well in my system. I'd like to hear how it would have performed as I changed gear along the years. You never know... It may have performed better with other gear I owned later. So sonically, the Eclipse will be a gamble; you won't know until you put it in your system.
Unfortunately, buying quality gear, current or older, does not guarantee quality sound.
Thank you for all the feedback. Perhaps some additional information would be of value: My 'plan' is to put together a used system comprising of the Simaudio Moon Eclipse, Simaudio i5 integrated amp or YBA Integre DT integrated, and Totem Sttaf or Hawk speakers. I've not been able to hear the system so I'm counting on my internet research to draw some conclusions regarding synergy. Again, any and all feedback is welcome.
Thank you for all the feedback. Perhaps some additional information would be of value: My 'plan' is to put together a used system comprising of the Simaudio Moon Eclipse, Simaudio i5 integrated amp or YBA Integre DT integrated, and Totem Sttaf or Hawk speakers. I've not been able to hear the system so I'm counting on my internet research to draw some conclusions regarding synergy. Again, any and all feedback is welcome.
There is great synergy between Sim gear IMHO. I also agree that a big part of digital equipment sound quality comes from the power supply and analogue output stage and Sim has always excelled in these respects. Case in point - Sim offering outboard power supply for its 650/750D DACs as a way to improve sound.