Is there any equipment that can do this?

I like to listen to live Jazz but my issue applies to all recorded live music. Here's the problem. With any 2 channel system, the audiance is heard as though they were on the same stage as the musicians. Ideally, the front soundstage should present the performers and the audience should be heard around and behind the listener to simulate the sense of being at a live concert. I realize that this would be all but impossible to reproduce in a 2 channel system but is it even possible with multi channel systems? If a high end quality system can present a realistic soundstage with precise imaging, why can't today's technology place the audience in its proper location to deliver a more realistic live performance? Or can it?

J.Chip
jchiappinelli
J. Gordon Holt wrote about this subject a lot years ago in Stereophile (surround sound for music was a passion of his). The Hafler/Dynaco system sought to provide a cheap, easy way to simulate discrete 4-channel sound from 2-channel recordings, using the out-of-phase information buried in stereo recordings. Try to find the old Dynaquad unit if you're interested in trying it yourself.
The Carver C9 Holograph unit can do exactly what you describe) BUT you must set up your speakers properly (classic triangulated seat/speaker positions) to get it. At its best it ain’t that bad and is at least fascinating. If you can put it in a tape loop you can always just bypass it when you want to. You can get a pretty good used one (some are reconditioned) for a couple of hundred bucks or less.

Post removed 
Post removed