Is this the END of DAYS for the high end CD player

Seem like this format days are numbered like the cassette and LP. Why would you want to spend 5k or 10k+ for a high-end CD player or DAC combo??

Just trying to see what other audiophile’s thoughts are and where you guys & gals may be planing for the future. Do you stop here at the high end CD player and this format or go completely too digital files?

I'm at a quandary about investing into an expensive CD player setup.
apachef1
"It seems like getting computer source perfect and beat hi end cd player is problematic and cumbersome"

No more problematic than choosing the right stylus, turntable, cables and phono preamp, and then adjusting the turntable. This is simpler I think. Manufacturers of computer audio equipment usually provide recommendations, instructions and even some software. Find a simple way to get this from a turntable manufacturer.

"Still.... I believe the power supply in a computer is not clean enough for hi end use"

These are myths. Has little or no effect on it if you use the right technology, either async USB, Firewire or networked audio.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"how can one guarantee ripping from it results in perfect bit for bit information?"

Simple, just use dbpoweramp on PC with Accurate-Rip enabled or XLD on Mac with Accurate-Rip.

Like I said already, this pretty much guarantees that the dataset and control information in the frames is correct, unless maybe the track you are ripping has never been ripped before.

Once you have this, it will last forever on the right storage media. It will not have read-errors when your CD player gets old, and the disk will not degrade over time (they do). The variability in the pits, which results in jitter in most CD players is no longer an issue.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
No, it is the end of high end vinyl. No, wait, that was 30 years ago.

Priceless! People went ballistic with the "new CD format" that is “much better than any vinyl” just like it happens with the supposedly "new and better computer audio" now.

I mean this here is a an amazing and super-convenient Honda product too, but will it ever replace your car? It sure can, especially if you are so obese that you can't get into your car, but it will take you sevral days getting to your favorite restaurant and then back home. :-) On the bright side, there will be no DUIs. :-)

Best,
Alex
Aplhifi,
you have taken some of my statements out of context. What I was getting at was the CD/DVD drives when used with specific ripping software can produce amazing results and make a nonsense of expensive transports. Not that any old CD/DVD drive on its own will compete.

Take it as read that there will always be someone doing something to sell you a product that may work better. But compared to many, computer audio is the way to go. There is just some set up. Just like every other piece of equipment.

Thank you for clearing up the limit of s/pdif, but this is not true of all s/pdif.

Most people here, unless using very new equipment, will not be able to pass 24/192k via their s/pdif. Hence my question about the limit. I mention jittery as he was using optical & s/spdif from his laptop. I feel FW gets you past all this.

It is clear that as usual people have made all this sound complex. But in Waynekers case a few adjustments to his computer and software I am sure will do the trick. But he seems happy to play 1 CD at a time and likes his sound.

I used to do it that way, but I could never go back to such a limited way of playing back music. Having your library available at the press or slide of a finger means I listen to way more music, and I dont fall into the pattern of reaching for the same old CDs at the front of the pile.

Waynekers if you have already ripped lots of your library to WAVs no worries. You can easily convert them to Aiffs and get the benefit of the metadata on the Mac. You may even be able to remove some errors too if you didnt rip them well the 1st time around. I am not sure how they do it, but I saw someone using software on a PC that did it! But thats another story...