Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
That Ink Spots cut was amazing! Talk about skill; simply beautiful singing. Oh yeah, and then there's all the "little" things that seem to elude a lot of singers today like sheer entertainment factor, lack of pretense, connection with an audience. Nothing "edgy" about a performance like that, but so much sincerity in the song's simplicity. Thanks.
Today's Music:
Afrocubism -- Afrocubism

Cuban and Malian Musicians. Think of Ali Farka Toure and Buena Vista Social Club playing together.
Sometimes it hard to sepeate the African from the Cuban.

Features, what has to be, the entire Diabate family and Elidas Ochoa on guitar and vocals. Jose Angel Martinez on Double Bass. Chorus vocals done by Cuban and Malians.

Seems as if Mali and Cuba have a history. Musicians from Mali, after independence, went to Music schools in Cuba.

I liked the 'Cuban' music the best. The Mali music was good, but in places, exhibited that repetitive 'sameness' common to a lot of Toure's music. A little goes a long way. But the entire set is well integrated. Excellent recording.

All in all a good session. 'Al Vaiven De Mi Carreta' was my favorite. Ochoa sings on this one. One measure and you know it's Cuban.

Does the Bass, the instrument, have any special place in Cuban music as compared to other Latin music??

The link is to a short documentary thingy made in the studio. Interesting. The music from the CD is on youtube also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDe47kNWsYE

Cheers
A great song off of a great CD. 'The weight' and 'Patches' are two more gotta listen to..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAA_LUCb0QE&list=PL14CE19C53F9D9B06&index=6

Cheers

Although I heard strains of Spain, Mexico, and Cuba in the music, I find it interesting how many people like to lump them under "Latin" music, I don't. While the music originated in Spain, it took on it's own unique identity once it reached this hemisphere.

There are too many distinct types of African music for me to identify, but it's just as well because from what I've heard, it's best blended with music from other lands, although African drumming can be quite compelling; especially when utilized by Diz or Blakey.

Afro Cuban has achieved that just right blend of the two for me.

Here's that compelling drumming as utilized by Blakey, this makes you want to go native.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaD9gU9N80
"Does the Bass, the instrument, have any special place in Cuban music as compared to other Latin music??"

Considered one of the original fathers of Cuban Descarga (Jam) is Israel 'Cachao' Lopez. This legendary Cuban bass player's been actively recording since the 50's. An interesting twist to his tale was that although considered a giant amongst musicians, he was largely unknown to the public. During the 90's, actor Andy Garcia found him in S. Fl. playing weddings and quinceneras (Cuban sweet 15 parties). He arranged a project for Lopez that resulted in the '2nd coming' of Cachao; the highly recommended 'Master Sessions - Vol. I & II'. The Lopez family is musical royalty in Cuba. Israel 'Cachao' Lopez is uncle to Orlando 'Cachaito' Lopez, another legendary Cuban bass player, featured prominently in The Buena Vista Social Club. Interestingly enough, he's only recorded one self-titled solo record that's a total departure from his work with the BVSC in that it features (small doses) of Electronica & Cuban Dub music. One of my favorite Latin Jazz records! ANOTHER Cuban bass dynasty in the making features Carlos Del Puerto, the original bassist for the legendary Irakere (the band founded by, amongst others, Paquito D'Rivera, Arturo Sandoval, & Chucho Valdes), and his son; Carlitos Del Puerto, one of the busiest bassist/musicians currently on the Cuban scene! I could go on about how the bass-playing in Cuban/Latin music's not only melodic but has a unique percussive aspect that I find especially delightful but I've gone on for a bit too long already!;) I'll return you to yr regularly scheduled programming now.