Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Check this out. Killer arrangement, smoking rhythm section and great solos. Love the way that Valdes relaxes the time feel when he plays the well-known Zawinal melody over the drummer's simple but relentless and driving groove. Great stuff!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2W8gbBzvUU
I think we can say that RAP was hijacked. In the beginning it was good, even great. Sort of like an urban version of Dylan.

Then folks figured out you didn't much to do it. No talent or musical training. Anyone with a loud foul mouth could do it. Lot of money to be made with little overhead.

But if you don't understand the 'RAP' phenomenon, just remember the advice of Deep Throat, 'Follow the Money'!

I have a CD by Ice-T and Quincy Jones that is not too bad. Even has 'Birdland' on it. Ice-T raps.

If you want the real deal, try 'The last Poets'. I warn you, not to everyone's taste, but great and painfully accurate commentary on inner city life. From the 70s, but sadly, still revelant. And they point the finger at the correct people. Truly urban Dylan.

Currently listening to Woody Shaw's WOODY III. Will report later.

Cheers

"Aficionados", you're conflating "RAP" with social commentary. "The Last Poets" was social commentary, Gil Scott-Heron would turn over in his grave if you called him a "Rapper". Is poetry "RAP"? Not all words spoken in rhyme and rythm are "RAP".

It's the intellectual content of the "Rap" that distinguishes one rap from another. "RAP" is almost exclusively about bitches, ho's and the low life style of pimps and thugs in as vulgar a language as possible.

Get real, we're talking gang life culture that's exploited for what it's worth, that's "RAP"; however, when we blame the people caught up in that culture, we're blaming the victim for the crime.

Once upon a time, there were people called "sociologist" who worked hard to explain, and prevent thug culture from spreading; but it was much cheaper not to hire people who worked to remedy the cause of the problem, and let the people deal with it as best they could.

Although this culture is closely related to poverty, the culture remains even after the artists have become millionaires, as we have witnessed; but to understand how people caught up in that culture are the victims as opposed to the criminals is beyond current thinking in this society. "Rap" goes far beyond music or social commentary.

Now you see how easy it is to "just enjoy the music".

O-10,

If you disagree with my post, Read my first sentence again. If you are in agreement with my post, then never mind.

The poets were rappers. They just talked about different and important things with intelligence, using street language. What they created was later 'hijacked' by the thugs who turned it into the ho thingy. Just as bebop somehow ended up being 'FREE'.

The thing is defined by the first, not the current. They just corrupted it.

Cheers
Orpheus & Rok2id - hopefully not completely hijacking this thread but possibly taking it on a little off road excursion that iwill get it back to your intended course in short order....

The recent exchange about "rap" reminded me of something I heard on WXPN (adult alternative public radio out of Phila.) several years ago. It was, I think, a "pre-rap" song the gist of the lyric being that Jesus was a black man...went into some detail on His lineage justifying this take on Him. VERY powerful and literate. I'd love to listen to it again but have not been able to find it. My sense of the period it was from is probably late '60s maybe '70s. I have searched old radical black groups,black poets from the era to no avail. Hoping this might trigger a memory with you. Thanks in advance.