Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:
All three youtubes were very good. The Mulligan cut was let down by poor sonics, but great playing.

Peggy Lee? You don't have to say alot. She was one of the best ever.

Annie Ross? I have several of her with LH&R. The songs she sang here, I have played a zillion times. Joe Williams was an added treat. And did you notice, the Basie septet. :)

The word 'Hip' fits Ross and LH&R like a glove. Talk about 'sophisticated' Jazz. That would be Annie & Company.

Cheers

Rok, we agree on all counts. Although I have Mulligan on LP, I was wondering if it was the same one, and as far as I can tell it is. I hope the one I have is on CD, because the sonics are excellent. Since Amazon only gives "used" LP, I don't know; but there are also "down loads". Since that's the best cut on the LP, and none of the rest of them quite come up to "I'm Gonna Go Fishin", "down load" isn't a bad idea.

Enjoy the music.
Todays' Discovery:

Charles Mingus -- MINGUS AT THE BOHEMIA

features: Mingus(bass),Eddie Bert(trombone), George Barrow(tenor Sax), Willie Jones(drums), and Max Roach as special guest on drums.

The first step on the road to 'Ah Um', 'Oh Yeah', 'At Antibes' et al. Recorded at Cafe Bohemia, NYC DEC 1955.

Comments by Nat Hentoff, Down Beat, state that "This was Mingus' first recording with a working band of his own. The group was also the first to carry the Mingus Jazz Workshop Banner."

So this is very, very early Mingus. It you listen you can hear a little of what is to come. The music just sounds familiar. Now, not then. This was cutting edge stuff then.

Eight tracks. No throwaways here. 'Septemberly', 'All the Things you C#', and 'Jump Monk' feature exceptional playing.

Mingus does a very nice duet with Max Roach, on a tune called 'percussion discussion.' Mingus on Bass.

'All the things that you C#' contains elements of 'all the things you are' and Rachmaninov's 'prelude in C# minor' and a little dash of 'Clair de Lune.'

On the alt take of C#, he stopped the band, and restarted them after a little admonishment. hahhaha Gotta be Mingus! The guy was worst than Monk!!

Check it out. Any Mingus / Jazz fan has to have it.

Cheers
Rok, this is a diamond in the rough. It illustrates how fast Mingus learned because it's a long way from the polished diamond which is "Mingus Ah Um". He quickly discovered that he needed tailor made musicians, those are the ones who could hear and play his music which was so radically different at that time. He tailor made Dannie Richmond's drums to fit his music, because a traditional time keeping drummer couldn't work with such radically quick shifting times.

Now, I'm going to get back in another groove with one of my favorite female vocalist, Miriam Makeba. When she was young, like here, her voice just exhilarated me. I definitely don't have enough Miriam Makeba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oztzZu5zPzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4dT7l7sWVg

This was when all the best female vocalists were in fine form, including the sexy Brazilians, and Miriam Makeba still stood out; she was "electrifying", and my body resonated in harmonic sympathy with the sound of her voice.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

Two of my favorites. I never thought ANYONE, could perform them better than the babes that sing with the Sergio Mendes group

Sergio who?? Makeba has made these songs her own.

She not only sang them well, if you listen closly to her tone and her phrasing on 'mas que nada' she actually made it African.

I will have to see what is avalabile on CD at Amazon. I have a lot of her on LP, but only one CD.

She was a favorite on mine back in my Joan Baez / Buffy Saint Marie, days.

Great recommendations.

Cheers