Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

I have 'The Country Preacher' This style of Jazz was responsible for getting a lot of young people into Jazz.

If most people's introduction to Jazz had been some of those 'free' or 'avant-garde' types, the genre would have died years ago.

The commentary does 'date' the performance, but it's still a nice listen. I am sure you remember when it was possible to play music like this on the juke boxes in cafes / bars.

Cheers
Eastern Rebellion: Why is this record not considered when people talk about "Greatest Jazz Records Ever"? George Coleman, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins.

Side one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubU5TclcEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdTYMDIyQq8

Just a question, Why are some gems so overlooked?

Like Rok says " If you don't got it, get it".

Rok, I remember liking The Weston/Liston recording, Volcanic Blues, but I have trouble locating the CD's in time to comment. Also, a few years back my son sold some CD's thinking I would never find out. I started seeing "my" Cd's at the stores and figured it out. I am not real sure what I own anymore. I need to get a list on computer and organize my LP's and CD's, but that would be work. ;)
***** need to get a list on computer and organize my LP's and CD's, but that would be work. ;)*****

Acman3, you are right about that. I did my Jazz, Classical and Blues and then decided that the rest, (pop, gospel, Christmas and Opera) weren't worth the trouble.

I just used the database thingy that comes with MS Works.

Feel free to comment on anything at anytime. Time is of no consequence.

I would love to try the Eastern Rebellion CDs, but the prices on Amazon are in the hands of 'these sellers'. $136 new, and $563 for Eastern Rebellion 2. I'll try looking elsewhere or for a greatest hits thingy. Cedar Walton is worth the effort.

'Hype', IMO, is the main answer to your question about overlooked gems. Most of us are so busy going gaga over the 'Royalty' of Jazz i.e Miles, Trane, etc... we often overlook a lot of talent. This is esp unfair because, often times the Royals have no clothes on.

Cheers

Rok, I could live without the commentary as well, but it's recorded on something I have. In regard to organizing, that's something I dread even attempting, let my heirs organize. Acman3, I sold some Cedar Walton LP's and a CD at what I thought was a good price; as it turns out, I regret every LP I ever sold.

Enjoy the music.

The best way to listen is in total darkness, and not even know who you're hearing. When the program list is running the music, I have to identify everything by the sound and my knowledge of the music.

When I heard this trumpet that stood out from all other trumpets, it attracted my attention; as I became drawn into the music, each instrument seemed to be the best I'd heard. Normally you have an idea of what you're going to hear before the first note hits your ear, and since you have the CD or LP in hand, you also know who the artists are; but listening in total darkness without this information, means you have to identify everything by ear.

I identified the music as "Stolen Moments" from Oliver Nelson's "Blues And The Abstract Truth". Although this music has been in my collection for ages, I couldn't identify the artists by name from the sound of their instruments, as impressive as each individual artist was. I can tell you this, I was in for a surprise when I identified the artists. Although every note they played was spectacular on this tune, none of them was my favorite artist, even though they were all well known.

The sum total meaning of all of this is; every well known jazz artist has recorded a spectacular solo, you just have to find it. The artists were: Oliver Nelson, tenor sax; Paul Chambers, Bass; Eric Dolphy, flute; Bill Evans, piano; Roy Haynes, drums; Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; and George Barrow, baritone sax.

Enjoy the music.