Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****I have to identify everything by the sound and my knowledge of the music.*****

Sort like the old DownBeat thingy. I was always amazed at how often the guest artist got it right.

Yours sounds like an interesting method. I used to listen in the dark back in the day. I liked the Sansui light show!! Now I am not so fond of stereo equipment lights. Even the power light seems to irritate me.

Blues and the Abstract Truth sounds great no matter the lighting. One of the best.

I could probably pick out Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday, from anyone else. That's about it. :)

Cheers
Thelonious Monk -- MISTERIOSO

Monk(p), Johnny Griffin(ts), Ahmed Abdul Malik(b), Roy Haynes(d)

Typical complex simplicity from Monk. Recorded Live At The Five Spot Cafe, NYC Aug 1958, which makes it a little over 55 years ago! WOW! I still think of these guys in the present tense.

Great music, mostly Monk's tunes, and great playing, esp from Johnny Griffin. This could easily have been his CD. This being pre-Rouse. The audience is there but barely heard. Not obtrusive at all.

One complaint: On the title track 'Misterioso', we have Monk in the middle, the drums and sax in the left speaker and the poor bass by itself in the right speaker.

I had not heard, or been aware of, my speakers for ages, until this. When Griffin took a solo, all the sound came from the left speaker. This only happened on this track.

The rest of the recording was good.

But, it's Monk, and that's more than good enough! This was recorded at the same time as another Monk recording 'Monk in Action" Both on Riverside label.

Do you need it? Can an 'aficionado' have too much Monk?

Check out the 'complete riverside' CD box set.

Cheers
after another listen and this time at 'proper volume', I will withdraw the comment about the sound on the track 'misteriso'. Not as bad as I thought first time around. The middle disappears. :) Sax / drums in the left speaker, bass in the right. Still not ideal for stereo home listening.

Cheers
Genius!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9El7k4mNo

Rouse sounds amazing! And no, one can't have too much Monk.

"Misterioso" is a great record. Griffin is fabulous, and one of my favorite tenor players. Still, there's something about the way that Rouse seems to get inside Monk's musical head that is almost creepy.

Frogman, here's an outstanding artist you should be familiar with who no one has mentioned. "Desert Lady" is the CD I've chosen to illustrate his talents. The Lew Tabackin quartet on this CD features: Hank Jones, piano; Dave Holland, bass; and Victor Lewis, drums.

While I like the entire CD, "Pyramid" is one of the cuts that's special to me. Lew Tabackin's haunting flute opens this number with an oriental mood that evokes far away places with strange sounding names. The cuts on this CD alternate between "laid back", and really cookin with a high "jump factor". Between the "laid back" cuts, and those with a high "jump factor" is where me and Rok differ, I prefer the former, while he's more in tune to the latter; but this CD has enough for the both of us.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find that particular CD on "Youtube", but this one which features Lew and Toshiko Akiyoshi is reminiscent of that CD; fortunately, I have both. Here's Lew's fantasic flute, on "Desert Lady/ Fantasy"; you can't go wrong with both CD's.

I would like your professional opinion in regard to "Lew Tabackin", who I feel is an under rated artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvUQeelTwc

Enjoy the music.