Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The Frogman:

Thanks for the clarification on the Baritone Saxophone. I think the assumption was that if bigger, you have to blow harder, i.e. more air. But as you said, there is more to it than that.

As far as this being a popular myth, well, high-end audio and music is full of those.

Cheers

Frogman, you gave us so much information, it's going to take me a week to digest it. I had forgotten how good "West Coast" can sound; it's all about getting into that kind of groove. Have a nice weekend; get back to you Monday with my take on all this new Baritone information.
Yes, excellent post. I was going to comment last night , but I was worn out. Glad I didn't. :)

"I think the idea of the "forgotten player" or the player that "didn't get his due" is mainly overstated and often a myth."

Frogman, I couldn't agree with you more. Pepper Adams was "DA MAN"; everybody who was somebody selected Pepper Adams as a sideman, remember the guy everybody wanted on their side in softball? Pepper Adams was that guy in jazz. Gonna cut a new record, need a baritone; "Where is Pepper Adams"?

"Pre be-bop style sensibilities"; while I never defined music in that manner, my brain automatically did it for me, and called that music "Old fashioned".

I went to this clip to demonstrate soprano sax with Trane and became fixated with McCoy Tyner on piano, this is about the time I saw Trane live; McCoy Tyner was just so right at that time, (not too many notes) he was the glue that kept things together when Trane decided to take off for parts unknown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGck-DRAFyw

Enjoy the music.