Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

It seems to me that the musicians that didn't get their due recognition are "West Coast", and musicians I actually met in LA told me they were making a good living out there, and didn't want to hit the road. What they didn't realize is that most musicians are only hot for a short time, and they have to make the most of it because their going to live a lot longer than the short time their hot.

Right now their doing benefits for local musicians who have outlived their popularity or are just too old to perform. Here in St. Louis our local jazz station has gotten involved.

Enjoy the music.
I'm no expert but I have heard Oscar Peterson many times over the years and I always enjoy his recordings.
Rok, it's the first note of his solo. Nice way to start a solo; economical use of just one note. Think of a solo in terms of speech; hence why it is referred to as telling a story. Listen to the shape of that opening musical comment that starts with just one note. Maybe Wynton is saying:
"HEY!.......Rok is NOW calling" 😎

Each player takes two choruses of twelve measures each (twelve bar blues). Wynton's first chorus starts at 4:25; it's his turn to play at that point and he plays his first note, as you point out, at 4:26. If you want to feel the shape or form of the tune (twelve bar blues), find the beat, tap your foot on that beat 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4 etc. (each measure or bar has four beats) and start counting at exactly 4:25. You wil find that Wynton plays for 24 (12x2) measures of four beats each (two choruses).

Btw, don't hate the band at all. Great feeling and they are having a blast.
*****Maybe Wynton is saying: "HEY!.......Rok is NOW calling" 😎*****

I thought he might have been saying to Marcus, since they are both playing trumpet "I got it", like a pilot handing the controls over to the co-pilot.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
He may have. It's his solo and I'm not inside his head, but it's a predetermined amount of playing space (two choruses) and there is no musical distinction between what I imagined he was saying and what you imagined. It's a solo and that was the first note. You're thinking about it the right way 'though.