Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"Senor Blues"has been one of my favorite tunes since the first time I heard it, Here is the original by Horace Silver plus another one by Taj Mahal.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7EYhGQsn4[/url]

Here's the vocal version.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4J7QAoWI0[/url]

I think both are out of sight, what do you think?

Enjoy the music.
moto_man

***** any academic trying to impose intellectual analysis on a visceral experience like jazz *****

I meant to comment of this earlier.   This is an outstanding point.     Explains so much.  It is the answer to much of the disagreement on this thread.

Thanks

Cheers.
**** It is the answer to much of the disagreement on this thread.****

No it isn't.  Much of the disagreement on this thread is due to a both narrow minded and arrogant mind-set on the part of some that assumes that the ability to analyze intellectually and the visceral experience are mutually exclusive.   Unfortunately, instead of aspiring to more knowledge and better understanding which, in turn, enhances the visceral experience, discourse is kept at a sophomoric level.  Not to mention any semblance of humility re the level of appreciation that exists.  This is a theme that is truly tiresome and has been beaten to death.  Perfect, and very recent example of what I refer to:

****Grossman: 'Tunisia"

At :09 and 2:06 Was there anything amiss there?****

++++Nothing that is not intentional and musical, if you're hearing what I hear. At .09 (actually, at .10) he just cuts the melody short; varies it, if you will, like many players do. Its all the more obvious with a familiar melody like NIT. Notice how he does the same thing again at .17. It's just his personal interpretation of the melody. It actually makes it interesting and it did what he intended: caught your attention. At 2:06 it sounds like he turns away from the mic a little and when he plays the multiphonic the note doesn't speak right away so his sound seems distant and almost like a mistake or missed note; it's not. Good for you for listening for those nuances. BTW, a multiphonic is when the player sounds more than one note at a time. It's a great sound; very expressive. ++++

Rok, I think you're referring to someone trying to equate "soul" in mathematical terms.