Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@alexatpos ,   Comments?  You said it as well as it can be said.

*******'they were too involved in musical device gleaned from their classical teachers, device that they tried to adapt to the jazz idiom in an attempt to somehow extend its parameter in a wholly mechanical, methodological fashion.*******

That is the HOW, now, the question is, WHY? 
   Why the obsession with making Jazz something, other than what it was?

The WHY will be the most interesting part of all.

Great post as usual from a very insightful observer of Jazz and it's history.

Thanks

Cheers
You think Jazz is a was, when Jazz is an is! 

That is why we seem to always be at this point, no matter how many times I think we have worked past it.

Sometimes things go so well together that you can't have one without the other: peanut butter and jelly; ham and eggs; beans and cornbread; well anyway you get my drift. There are jazz musicians who go together in this fashion: Donald Byrd and Pepper Adams; Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell.

Now I'm going to give you "Motorin Along" with Mr. Smith and Kenny Burrell;

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVDk0BCYxs[/url]

Enjoy the music.

Acman, you're absolutely correct; I know because I is listening to it right now; therefore it is an is, just like you say.
***** You think Jazz is a was, when Jazz is an is! ******

Just barely, once you take away the recordings of the players that are dead.

If you are a Jazz lover, just like the Classical lover, be prepared to listen to music by players / composers long dead.

Cheers