Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
YAW, Jafant - as ever, a pleasure to talk about the music.  

Hey Rok - when you get a chance, check this out.  Curious what you think of it (hoping it is new to you but pro'ly. not).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuCbQCnoIzI 

Ciao.
Orpheus - apologies but you will have to connect the dots for me on the why for the Grant Green bio.  Don't misinterpret my comments as being down on musicians getting paid and making money.  It's more a case of their priorities...doing what they love first and eventually getting paid or producing a contrived product calculated to "sell".  That's the best I can explain what makes m crazy about "the industry".  When you are inclined, let me know why you brought up Mr. Green.  Thanks.

Believe it or not; I read that Leon was going to be in town, appearing at the same joint where I saw Grant Green.

During intermission, I saw guys from the old neighborhood gathered around Leon on the sidewalk out front. Naturally I joined them and began reminiscing about old times. All of a sudden, two tons of ugly comes running up with the assumption I'm causing trouble with the star he's hired to protect. When he starts running off at the mouth, they leave me on the sidewalk with Mr. 5 X 5 two tons of the ugliest bouncer you ever saw. (Deja Vu) It seems I've been here before.

You got that right, I never went back to that joint again.

My point Ghosthouse was that with all the records he made, why should he be so desperate for money? I know nothing about the music business, but that used to occur far too often with jazz musicians; but now that "Rappers" are taking care of everything in the business of recording and distribution, they're rolling in dough.

While "Rappers" may sell more records, jazz musicians sold over a longer period of time; there's no way jazz musicians should have been desperate for money. Local musicians who work on a regular basis aren't desperate for money. What I'm saying is that when too many people are handling things, money disappears.

Are we on the same wave length? If not I'll come back.

Ghosthouse, jazz musicians depended more on record sales than concert tours. I forgot what the ticket prices were, but this wasn't a stadium; jazz musicians depended on record sales, and although records were selling, the musicians didn't seem to reap the benefits. Now there are local musicians who record, and sell their own CD's; they're living at about the same level as someone with a good job; nice house, new car; they are not hurting.

Maybe Frogman will chime in and enlighten us; we're not talking about musicians with big dope habits who could make any amount of money and still be broke.

Enjoy the music.