Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Still worth keeping up with…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkzT1UmaT0

I read he works with young musicians now, like Blakey did. Always worth a listen.

Maybe Donald Byrd said all he had to say in the jazz idiom. The Harpers were just OK, and that's because anything less than outstanding, sounds just OK. After listening to jazz all my life, I'm only impressed by something that's outstanding.

Although Donald Byrd produced many outstanding pieces of work over the years in jazz, he felt it was time to change grooves, and while I didn't agree with him at the time, now I understand his motivation and point of view a lot better. As a listener, I feel the need to change grooves from time to time, maybe that's why I can tread lightly into Donald's new groove.

Horace Silver is someone who withstood the test of time and never changed grooves completely; his music stayed somewhere in the broad jazz arena, while borrowing from other cultures from time to time; this is what kept his music fresh. With the approval of the rest of the aficionados, I would like to move on to Horace Silver after we have finished with Donald Byrd.

Enjoy the music.
"In the pocket" is an expression used by musicians to describe a player who has a particularly good sense of rhythm; who plays very deep in the groove; this is independent of musical genre.  There is good sense of rhythm and then there is GOOD SENSE OF RHYTHM.  Sometimes it is a stylistic choice to play around the time, and other times it's just a less developed sense of time which causes a player to sound like he is rushing (too far ahead of the beat) or dragging (too far behind the beat).  If you think of a metronome's clicking as being "perfect" rhythm, there is a certain degree of latitude on either side of the beat that would be considered acceptable and part of a player's musical personality.  Some musicians have the ability to play/sing with metronomic precision and still make it FEEL good and not sound like a machine.  Satchmo had it, Ray Charles, Miles, Sonny Rollins and others.  Examples of players who tended to play on the front side of the beat would be Cannonball, Trane.  A great example of a player who tended to play on the back side of the beat would be Dexter Gordon.  Best example of "in the pocket" that I can think of would be James Brown.  Imo.

On "Caravan" and Billy Taylor; "Give the drummer some"; I bet his favorite drummer is Art Blakey. I had to see and hear that twice.