Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, we'll simply have to agree to disagree re Mitchell.  As much a I lile Byrd,  I like Mitchell more than Byrd.  You like Byrd; I'm cool with that.  Now, as far as your "yardsticks" are concerned, it would be helpful if you would tell us and explain what musical yardsticks you are using and how they each apply to the two players in question; that would bring some relevance to this discussion.  

Re Thomas (again): with all due respect, you're grabbing at straws.  I like Thomas and I have said so.  I wonder how HE would have felt knowing that his yodeling was the only thing there was to like about his singing; according to O-10 of course.  This is a ridiculous discussion.

Now, O-10, this is your thread and I know you want to maintain high levels of integrity here.  This is just a gentle suggestion.  It is in good form, when quoting someone else's writings (Wiki or others), to make it clear that they are someone else's words.  

Acman, I share your opinion. Aldo, imho, we skipp some very nice albums where Donald Byrd played, maybe later I could point to some.
I have same feeling when it comes to FH, somehow I can  name more albums where I liked Mitchell's playing, or Byrds as well, than the ones with Hubbard. On the other hand, I prefer Dizzy over him, when it comes to some other types of recordings. Strange as it seems, I never cought up completely with his work. Maybe we shall come to that, here, later...

This whole "bruha" started because I stated "Before the beat or after the beat; what difference does it make, and you have never pointed how Blakey is either; you simply stated you didn't like his lazy sloppy playing.

I take it you are referring to the "Jazz Messengers" when you mentioned Wiki. Is that your way of dodging "Before or after the beat" in regard to Art Blakey's "sloppy drumming"?