Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"Nica's Dream" is very important to me for sentimental reasons. Frogman stated that his preferred version is the template by which all others should be judged "to paraphrase him" I strongly disagree.

This might be my favorite; he described it as "sleepy and lacking energy" If that's not provocative, I don't know what is. After that statement, I challenge his credibility as a "Jazz Aficionado".

Now what makes his statement so absurd, is that Horace Silver is on piano on both version. Figure that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lju13U1zEE

The one below is by "Dee Dee Bridgewater"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwvuGJPQBNw

I have no idea how you compare the two, but Frogman will figure out a way.

Enjoy the music.
Post removed 

"Silver's own version of Nica's Dream is my favorite of the two; by a long shot! Blakey's version is too slow. There is no law that says that a tune can't work played at a tempo different from the one the composer intended, but this is a case when the composer's tempo is so clearly the better one that it makes Blakey's version sound sleepy by comparison and lacking energy. Then, there's Blue Mitchell's solo on Silver's version; that alone makes it the better one for me."

Above is exactly what you posted; when "Horace Silver" composed the tune; Horace Silver played piano on both versions; except, to me, Blakey and "The Jazz Messengers" kick it way up. How do you know that the composer didn't decide to slow it down a notch, since he was the same on both versions?

Evidently you're accustomed to teaching grade school kids who can't afford to get provoked. I'm going to leave it at that.

If you think Mitchell's version is better than Donald Byrds, put them up for a vote; we don't have no dictators here.

"either you are a person of extremely limited intellect to continually misunderstand and/or distort the meaning of things or you’re simply an ass"

If that's not provocative, I don't know what is; this can continue until the cows come home, and since I'm in St. Louis, that could take awhile.

Enjoy the music.

Post removed