Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Fabulous! Thank you for that, Alex. How can music that documents the beginnings of everything that’s talked about on this thread be "off topic"? It IS the topic. To understand and appreciate the music of that period is the way to best understand and appreciate the music of later periods. Have never heard Armstrong’s beautiful sound and fantastic rhythmic verve so clearly. Also never heard as clearly details like the way that the saxophone section match each other’s vibrato to create that wonderful sound like one instrument instead of three or four; practically a lost art. Important stuff. Thanks again.
****I think it's foolish to get in a who is the best argument****

Your best comment in quite some time.

****, but I seem to get drawn into them sometime. ****

Correction, you don't get drawn into them, you create them.  

This is from "Silver N' Percussion" I think it's fairly interesting. It came out in 77 and not too bad for that time frame in his career. Babatunde Olatunji on percussion makes this one worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOgx7QBPXMw

Here's one with voices "The Spirit of the Zulu";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naP3KC-TWkg&index=3&list=PL0yFebGRzwN7ea9gznR_q1ZHhVjLbe_wG

And here's the "Wiki" scoop on that LP

.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_%27n_Percussion

I think it's certainly worth acquiring if you don't have it.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, if there's anything you should have learned by now, it's "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Here's my thoughts for the day for you "The sun will come out tommorow"

Enjoy the music.
Silver 'n Percussion:

The worst Silver I have heard.  Too contrived.  Too Third world-ish.  Too, lets join the young folks.  I would not have recognized him.

Sinbad Silver?

Cheers