Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, I do declare ☺️, I have been touting the Breckers here (especially Michael) for a long time. I seem to recall the designation of.....well, you know....rhymes with bread baker. I am glad that you have come around. Michael in my opinion was, as well as being a great contemporary jazz player and extremely influential, probably the greatest saxophone virtuoso that ever lived.  Will have more to say later.
O-10, you are not thinking "globally" enough.  Green recorded several records for BN around and after the time that the Verve record was released.  I was making a comment about the Verve record being indicative of Grant's playing relative to what was going on in the music scene as a whole  (including BN) and why that may have affected his relationship with BN.  I can't be any clearer than that.  Of course, if one is coming from a viewpoint that business interests are always trying to screw the artist, then its more difficult to see the relationship.  

Re my response to Acman3: it could not be clearer, please take it at face value.
Frogman, you could talk for days and never say anything.  I'm turning my computer off, not to be turned on or click "Agon"
This song comes to mind when thinking about Jazz and life through the years. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emAe6IClGys

This reminds me of nothing in particular, it's just good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdsADoNao

Cheers