Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
jazzcourier, couldn't agree more re Harold Arlen and Joe Pass.  Pat Martino is in a class by himself among the living players.  Astounding; although Pass is the one that always moved me most.  He is sorely missed.  I posted this recently and I think it's worth posting again:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cyqJwJzGB0g

I heard this young man recently at a club here in NY.  I was very impressed with his maturity as a player who, while definitely with a modern sensibility, has not, as Rok likes to say, strayed too far from the Jazz farm.  I think he's someone to keep an eye on:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqaiEicGjs

Learsfool, this thread has gone on continuously since 02-24-2013, and you were the first person to post on it. Why do you continue?

Enjoy the music.
Frogman...Thanks for the heads up on this Dane? Gilad Hekelsman. Certainly has chops and has done the work and i have always liked Mark Turner.I looked at a few more recent videos of Gilad and he is impressive.Sounds like he is searching for the right tone on that instrument and i say stay out of the murky waters of amplification and let the instrument speak. Pat Martino....profound!

Jazzcourier, I hope they read your post in regard to saying more with fewer words, or at least "saying something". Right now, I'm suffering from eye strain trying to read their diatribes, and brain drain from trying to figure em out. I believe they are all conspiring to send me to a shrink, but now that a true "Jazz Aficionado" has come along, their efforts will be in vain. You came along at just the right time.

Enjoy the music.
Everyone feels their own passion about music and travels at their impulse in regard to what they feel is important and valuable.Jazz has always been a big puzzle and it takes lots of people to put it together,piece by piece.
   Jazz has also "suffered" from such a broad definition that it can be the greatest thing or the most boring thing,but it is still Jazz.People define the music by what they like and they covet and defend that niche irregardless of what came before or after or what is around the corner.They simply have no interest in expanding their world beyond that neighborhood.You can't deny that comfort zone.So take of it what you will,what moves you and what calls to you,but let others venture beyond your horizon.The music has a strong and undeniable power that has taken it many places.It is one helluva ride.