Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Marcus Roberts’ pianos:

First, very nice clips by Roberts. Which is the Chang upright?

Interesting question. At first I thought, way too easy. Jelly Roll’s "The Crave". Why? Jelly Roll would probably have played on an upright. More importantly, the piano played on "The Crave" has been detuned; and in a big way. Listen to how it was made (tuned) to sound like a honky-tonk piano; which would, almost by definition, be an upright. Some of the right hand notes are deliberately and seriously out of tune and the piano seems to have, AT TIMES, a lighter and less weighty sound than the other two as a result of the detuning. There is, in fact, a technique used by specialty piano technicians called "Honky-Tonk". This would leave the Steinway Concert Grand for the other two tunes. But wait! The piano on the Ellington and the Monk sound like two different pianos. Hmmm.

On the Ellington, the piano sounds weighty, full and rich, extended left hand and very sophisticated sounding; befitting the music of THE DUKE. On the Monk, the piano sounds lighter, both lighter sounding and a little muffled at the same time, different timbre, almost a little nasal, a little more nimble; like someone forgot to turn on the subwoofer. Dilemma:

I know what logic tells me; but, I know what my ears tell me. If I get it right I will be forced to listen to several Bey Sisters CD’s. If I get it wrong I will be giving ammunition to some in certain quarters who are desperate for ammunition. Either way, a no-win situation 😥

Final answer:

The Chang upright is played on Monk’s "In Walked Bud".

Listening done on an IPad.
😁
***** The Chang upright is played on Monk’s "In Walked Bud".******

AAUGH!!!!!!   Curses, foiled again!!   Can no one defeat The Frogman!?!?

I would have thought it would have been the Jelly Roll for the reasons you stated.  I will have to listen again for the out of tune Concert Grand on 'The Crave'.

Thanks for the insight.

Cheers
Mari Boine:

I had the whole thing wrong.  I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.  She is a member of the SAMI people.   Her music is in support of ALL 'oppressed minorities' worldwide.  And I guess  there are slim pickings in Norway, hence the Native American thingy.

Nice info and clips.   You learn something everyday.  Or I should say, I learn something everyday. :)  Whew, that was close.

Cheers

Mitchmiller, I just got around to reviewing "Back At The Chicken Shack" by Jimmy Smith; That is one boss jam. The album; "The Incredible Jimmy Smith", got a 5 star rating from "Allmusic".

There is no way this album could go wrong; not with a lineup like this.

Jimmy Smith - organ
Kenny Burrell - guitar
Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
Donald Bailey - drums

Rather than me wasting a lot of words, I'll let your ears be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHbwQvNg-wc

For my money, Jimmy Smith  is the best jazz organ, and I can settle back in that groove all day long.

Enjoy the music.