Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Alex, I have many "ECM" records, only 1 CD that I can think of; for some reason I never play any of them. So the question is "Why did I buy them in the first place?" There are many things in that same category; bright yellow double knit bell bottomed slacks, with 3 inch cuffs; Why did I buy them, the moths don't even like them.

Things of that nature are just another one of life's riddles. Azimuth - "The Tunnel" is interesting though it's on ECM and is typical of their music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scJ_cSvgFBM

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, it's amazing; in order to appreciate Eric Dolphy, all we had to do was "listen". I liked that Eric Dolphy clip

Kenny Wheeler, forlorn and lost; like being in the middle of a dream that seems real, and you are in the middle of nowhere and don't know how you got there, or which way is home; then you wake up just before you lose your mind trying to figure things out. "Thank God that was just a dream".

I feel that bass; the tune comes to life after 5 minutes, and gets into a bag reminiscent of the 70's live music that I heard in clubs. I could possibly buy it, if I don't already have something similar. Top notch musicians, I recall all of them.

Enjoy the music.
****Kenny Wheeler, forlorn and lost; like being in the middle of a dream that seems real, and you are in the middle of nowhere and don't know how you got there, or which way is home; then you wake up just before you lose your mind trying to figure things out.****

O-10, I find it fascinating that your description of the feeling that Kenny Wheeler's music invoked is a perfect parallel to what I described:

****modern jazz with rather vague tonal centers which give tunes an unresolved character; like one could hit "pause" at any point in the melody and it wouldn’t matter where.****

What you described is exactly what happens harmonically and melodically in the type of compositions that Wheeler writes.  The usual and normal tendency for harmony and melody to want to move in certain directions (resolve) is mostly absent; the music seems "lost" and "in the middle of nowhere".  

I don't know what's going on, but we have had a very long string of music that I would give a thumbs up to; all of it very interesting, even if it was on the borderline for a buy, and none of it was "stereotypical"; that's music I've heard for 101 times.

I'm submitting some music by a female vocalist that "stereophile" has raved about forever; that's automatically a thumbs down, I don't care for her vocals, but this time she got one thumbs up from me, her name is Patricia Barber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi3i-HqDNFI

Enjoy the music.

If this has been posted before, please tell me. If it has been posted before, and I don't remember; that's simply a sign that I'm getting younger.