Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

The tune "I Want To Be a Sideman" submitted by Frogman 09-05-2016 11:23am, caused me to think how a major jazz musician coming through St. Louis wanting to do a gig would pick up sidemen. At that time, there were so many good jazz musicians in St. Louis, that it wasn't a major problem to pick up good sidemen.

A good musician who didn't want to leave home, and find his lady done took up with "Jody" and gone when he gets back home, would definitely want to be a "sideman".

He would belong to the local, have a book, and have fun in between gigs, without any responsibility; that sounds like my kind of life when I was young, and my only goal in life was to have fun.

This is the song I liked;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdOav-Gt6mI

Enjoy the music.

When you buy music from the islands; this is what you hear, the people in the islands like this kind of jazz, they don't care for "stereotypical" music, meaning reggae Jamaica, or the "stereotypical" steel drum Trinidad music, they seem to like what I call Island music, which is a mixture of all the Islands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcyncj0hMc

This is super hip Island music; it's what the people prefer, not what's presented to the tourists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Sk8xdJBUQ

Enjoy the music.
***** This is super hip Island music; it's what the people prefer, not what's presented to the tourists.*****

And you know this how?

This is boring third world crap.  And EVERYTHING  they do, is for the tourist trade.   How do you think they eat.

Both clips sounded like the same tune.

Neither tune is Jazz.

Cheers

When Pops said "Bebop is Chinese Jazz, I think he had Bird and Dizzy in mind.   hahahahahhah

Cheers

Rok, I'm so glad you asked that question. I went to "Mo Bay" by my lonesome and hooked up with a beautiful Jamaican Lady. That's a No NO, but nobody told me; they chased me and the lady all over the island. I went from one place to the other, but the Jamaicans must have been beating the talking drums on us because no matter where we went, they seemed to be expecting us.

I took my lady (not the one I'm married to) to Haiti, but I still managed to talk to one of the locals, she was very skittish about talking to me. (not because of that male female thing but because of the crazy government in Haiti, see "The Comedians")

At any rate we talked about music (she was a sales lady at the music store) and I still have the records she recommended; they were similar to what I posted. There is no way I was going to fool around in Haiti, they can do bad things to you, and you wont even know they done done em.

Regina Carter just came on the box with that Mississippi violin thing we bought.

I didn't play the records until I got home; they're similar to what's posted.

Are you sure Pops said that; it seems to me I read that in one of Flannery O' Connor's short stories; she's the best thing to come out of Mississippi; MI crooked letter crooked letter I humpback humpback I; just kidding.

Don't stay gone so long.

Enjoy the music.